OMG Ginger has died!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2.5 cc's sounds about right. I know, it's very time consuming and difficult. Take your time and do the best you can.

I was on my way out with my last message, but check this list out to see if there are any rehabbers in your area:
http://www.wildlifeinternational.org/EN/public/emergency/rehabresults.cfm?Specialties=Mammals&Country=AU&Prov=&City=&Submit=Search
I'm a wildlife rehabber, and even though I don't do domestic bunnies, (I rehab cottontails), the principles are the same and they might be able to show you techniques and such. I would welcome the opportunity if I lived closer.

Don't forget that the babies have to be stimulated before and after feeding; they won't eat if they haven't peed/pooped. Also, make sure the formulastays warm (I know, easier said than done when it takes 15 minutes to feed each baby..) but if it's cool they probably won't eat it (or will be fussier).

Hang in there..

I text messages Randy with the info you gave me. Hopefully he will be on here. He may not be available for help tomorrow due to my female rabbit getting spayed tomorrow and he needs to be by his cell phone while Sweetie is getting spayed in case my vet needs his help.

Hi everyone its so very hard i dont think we are winning we have lost one but others are looking sad and sorry we have done our best but dont seem to be succeeding. A miracle is needed......

Just keep doing what you are doing. Also get that other bunny mommy to help. The one who is pregnant with kits. Did she have them yet?

Yes went to that link sas looking for a phone number/location for Geel but only NSW contacts. Sent an email no response. Was really hoping Vets preg doe would be our saviour but havent heard back from her and when i went in to see her yesterday someone else was on duty.
Only 2 buns left but we have changed our way of feeding and we can now see they are getting much more milk we still have our fingers crossed for them.

Sorry - I'm just now checking in on this thread - this information was in the link I provided in my earlier post - which also gave tips on how to feed the babies....

How much to feed?
The following information on feeding quantities are from the House Rabbit Society FAQ on Feeding Orphaned Baby Rabbits, which is an excellent source of additional information on this topic.

# Newborn to One Week: two - two and a half cc/ml each feeding (two feedings per day).

NOTE: Many newborn mammals cannot urinate/defecate on their own. The baby bunnies will require the stimulation of the mother's grooming tongue on their bellies and ano-genital region in order to release a stream of urine and those pinhead-sized poops. Fortunately, you do not have to use your tongue.

Use a cottonball (or even a very clean and disinfected fingertip) moistened with warm water, and gently tap/rub the urogenital area until you feel the baby's abdominal muscles tense and get that rewarding stream of warm pee! (Now you see why we suggest you use a towel on your lap.) Getting a urination response may take 15-20 seconds of stimulation, or even more. Many sources recommend doing this before feeding, and if it works--fine. However, sometimes the stimulus of a full stomach makes this easier. If the baby will not urinate before feeding, try again after feeding, and you will likely get a good response.

Failure to stimulate the babies to urinate/defecate can in the death of the baby (the bladder can actually rupture if it is not stimulated to empty!), so be sure you do this procedure diligently, gently, and patiently! It may take a couple of weeks before the babies are able to urinate and defecate on their own. Watch for signs of redness/irritation around the anus and uretrhal opening, which indicate you are stimulating too vigorously. Back off on the pressure, and apply a bit of soothing calendula ointment (available at health food stores) to heal the irritation.

If the feces come out liquid or "smeary", it's a sign of potentially serious trouble. Consult your rabbit-experienced veterinarian at the first sign of diarrhea, as this can be fatal in only a few hours in a baby rabbit.

# One to two weeks: 5-7 cc/ml each feeding (two feedings per day). The amount will depending on bunny, and may be much LESS if the baby is small.

NOTE: Do not allow a baby rabbit overfeed at one sitting! Once a baby learns the Turbo Suck (tm), he can suckle so quickly that it's possible for him to ingest a volume too great for his little tummy. Although it's unlikely for the stomach to rupture, stretching it too taut can cause pain, gas, and make the baby sick. It is better to underfeed slightly than overfeed. If in doubt, let the baby rest for about a minute after feeding, then offer the nipple again. This gives time for the stretch receptors to respond and let the baby know he's really full.

# Two to three weeks: 7-13 cc/ml each feeding (two feedings). Domestic rabbits' eyes open at about 10 days of age. Start introducing them to timothy and oat hay, pellets and water in a shallow dish.

# Three to six weeks: 13-15 cc/ml each feeding (two feedings) As always, quantity may be LESS depending on the size of the rabbit.

NOTE: At the age of about three weeks, babies will begin to experiment with solid food. Not only is it important to continue enriching the formula with colostrum, but at this stage it is time to inoculate them with normal rabbit bacterial flora from a healthy, parasite-free adult rabbit. Start to scout for a potential cecotrope donor when you first take the babies into your care. When they're about 2.5 - 3 weeks old, obtain a fresh cecotrope and mix it into a small quantity of formula. You will probably have to feed this as if it were medicine, as most babies do NOT enjoy this "special" formula. But it will help to establish their normal flora at a time when the stomach pH is likely not to interfere with proper colonization of healthy bacterial flora farther down the intestinal tract. Inoculation for 2-3 days in a row seems to be sufficient for establishment of normal flora.

This is fantastic information that i could have done with a week ago but someone else will be in debted to you for. We have only one kit left, devastating as we have become attached to each one more and more as time goes on we have even had our favourites due to their colouring markings or just their own idiosyncrycies even at less than a week old. Thank you all for your help.
Trish and Gerard
Dedicated Bunny Mums

RIP Ginger and your six babies. We tried everything and thought we had succeeded with two but luck wasn't on our side. Poor Fred i hope he is not too lonely dancing alone.............

Oh I'm so sorry. You really did put so much time, effort and love into trying to get the babies to make it through. Dedicated bunny mums sure is an accurate name...

:bigtears: :great::bouquet::rip:

Latest posts

Back