OMG DUMB DOG!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitluvr04

Reaction score
Yesterday morninga large male husky got into my yard and started trying to rip apart therabbit hutches right in front of me, He pulled the bottom down a littlebit on Bugs' cage, so I grabbed a baseball bat, a pan and and pipe andstarted beating the stupid dog it wouldnt go away and It BIT ME! My momcame home and heard me screaming! She ran down to the rabbits andpulled the dog away, but the damage was already done.

He had ripped Bugs' toe aparton the back foot and cut the nerve on the front foot, we called animalcontrol and the owner and took Bugs' to the vet, she had to have one ofthe front toes amputated and the back toe had to have stiches becauseyou could see the bone. The surgery went great and she is back at home.Animal control came to our house to ask me questions and they said thedog is going into quaretine and may be euthenized because it attacked ahuman and a domestic animal. That was the worst day of my life. And thedog probably has brain damage because I hit it so hard...ohwell:ponder: It shouldnt have been out in the first place...and it isalways out! animal control
has had complaints on it before!...it is out so much that all of ourneighbors know its name! and it doesn't even live on our street. Weshould have killed it! I was sooo scared. especially when it BIT ME!

Thank god you are alright, and same with yourrabbit. It is good that the dog is being taken away because thatbehavior is unacceptable.

Oh that is horrible! :X People likethat give dog owners a bad name - now look at all the damage that wascaused just because of some stupid 'pet owners.' You gothurt, your rabbit got hurt, and a dog will most likely have to be putdown.

Sweetie, your family should make sure that the owners of the dog payfor all of your damges - your medical bills, rabbit's vet bills, andproperty damage costs for injury to your rabbit and the hutch.

Stupid people like that dog's ownersmake me so mad...:growl:

I didnt go to the doctor, it is just a smallbite and animal control said just to wash it, what do you think ishould do about the cut? It only this big.....%

I feel sorry for the poor dog. Theowners were entirely to blame, it's not his fault he acted likethat/was left to run loose/unsocialized/etc. Can you take abat to them, too?

I know you were doing what you had to do to protect your rabbits, ashorrible as this whole thing makes me feel. I hope you andyour rabbits are okay...

Its not the dogs fault. I know it sounds mean,but you got to do what you got to in order to protect your rabbit andyour other pets. Ive been through dog attacks involving my bunniesbefore, and i know it sucks. There was one night while i was working,that my sister and my mom were just coming home from somewhere. Sisjumps out of the van while it is moving just as they arepullingin the driveway. She runs right for the rabbits. Whatshe had seen was two huge dogs tearing apart my cages to get at therabbits. They turned on her and attacked her when she tried to get therabbits away from them. They chased her to the porch where she ended upbeating them off with a pitchfork and a shovel. My mom ran indoors tocall the police. It took them nearly three hours to find those dogs.They used a search light and managed to find them only when the dogshad returned to their homes. the owners were fined for letting thierdogs run loose, and having having agressive dogs in town(found outlaterthe male was allowed to become mean by its owners). Theowner was willing to put the dog down in case there was a law in townstating so. But we advised her not to do it because it wasnt the dogsfault. my sister and i explained to her that the dogs probably wentafter the bunnies because they see them as 'playtoys.' They did pay allmy vet bills for anyone that had come off missing some toes out ofthat. and replaced all my stock thathad been lost.

I have been through a couple of other dog attacks. And I have to saythey will go through anything(including fence)to get to apanicky bunny. one involved my jerk neighbors turning my own dog looseat night, and sicking him onto the rabbits. Only I didnt find out aboutthat till after I had gotten rid of the dog. the other involved a straythat was never found. But the police did a report on it anyhow, just incase it did turn up, or killed someone elses animals. When it comes todog attacks, I dont blame the animal, i blame owners. However I used toliveout in the country where the sss did apply if you didnt who the dogbelonged to. Or of it was a continous problem with killing otheranimals and livestock. Shoot. Shovel. Shut up.

i don't think i wouldve tried beating the dog to death, because it iscruel. If I were you i would ask animal control to go after the owner,and make them pay for cage damages, and all vet bills.

rabbitluvr04 wrote:
we are not really worried about the vet bills, we areworried about it coming back into our yard!:nonono:

Thats why you should tryto nail the owner. Because its gonnacome back if the animal control officer lets it go back to its owner.Once a dog owner faces the consequences of something their animal hasdone or destroyed, they usually learn from it, and pay up for thedamages. If they don't learn, they just get another dog and let it runall over the neighborhood like the last one. And who knows what couldhappen then.

Make sure your yard is dog proofed, and fenced good just in case. :cool:

Personally :
I would be more afraid andworried about the next person it attacked, Has this Dog hadRabies vaccine? , Distemper, ParvoShots ? Did Animal Controllinform you ? If the Dog hasnthad Rabies shots, Quarenteenis generally thefirst step . I pray it was givenits proper shots in a timelyfashion for your healthand safety .

Make sure the owners are finedand restitution is completely paid infull . wether your worried aboutthe vet bill or not ! maybe hitting themwhere it will really hurt the ( wallet) it will wake up their brainand be more responsable. Here if an animalharasses barn and yard animals and is offthe leash , full restitution for theanimal and any offspring it mayhave produced , any lost wages , vetting ,property damage can berecovered . and should be .

that man already said he would pay foreverything. the surgery was pretty good though....$200 altogether. andthe rabbit hutch was about $100....but I decided I will tell a littlewhite lie and say it was more than that. he deserves it! I am going toto the cage was $200 and I can use the extra to pay for a large dog runto put the cages INSIDE of to keep them safe.

Since it bit a human and unless the owners canprove that it's had a rabies shot, they'll quarantine it to see if ithas rabies and then proceed from there, because if it has rabies, youhave rabies...let's pray it doesn't have rabies.

Ellie

Rabbitlvr, be sure to get a tetnusshot. Not sure if I spelled that right. Even if thedog does NOT have rabies, you might get a nasty infection from thebite. Where is the bite? Your hand? Notto scare you, but years and years ago, a friend of mine was nipped onthe hand by a dog. Didn't appear to be a big deal.Dog was quarantined and was fine (as in no signs of rabies).Over those days the dog was in quarantine, my friend's (index) fingergot worse and worse. Her parents waited to long before takingher to the doctor and she had to get her finger amputated.And apparently her parents didn't have her tetnus booster updated whenthey should have. I think they are good for 7years. Have you had one recently? Ask your folks.

I am SO mad at the dog owners I could SCREAM!!! I am so sorryabout your bun and YOU too! How are you & yourbunny? Tell us all!

Thinking of you! :p Hugs!

Being new here, (but not really to rabbits,...)I am not attempting to step on any toes..... but I would have to say itmight be unsurprising for the dog to try to bite you if you are hittinghim with a baseball bat and metal pipe? (Not acceptable perhaps; butnot surprising.) Of course the dog should not have been there in thefirst place, and you were protecting your pets. But it is somethingthat I would blame entirely on the owners of the dog, and not the dogitself.

I hope that both you, Bugs, and the dog, are all doing well now :) Itis lucky that you were home when it went into your yard! Hope you aresafe now.

-Aqua

Latest posts

Back