Ollie needs a butt bath.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikoli

Reaction score
OK. Ollie has had a few problems lately with exercise and feeding and such, and for two days when I couldn't let him out for exercise he sat in his toliet spot all day. He ended up very messy, and though he usually cleans himself, it's not coming off. I basically need to give him a bath.

I only really need to wash his back legs and under his tail, so what I'm going to do is fill up a contain with lukewarm water about halfway, just enough to cover his legs, and get him wet. Then I'm going to use maybe puppy shampoo to help wash it off a bit, then dry him thoroughly. I have needed to wash him for a long time now, but it's been very cold recently (it's summer!), and I don't want to wash him on a cold day. I have decided to wash him on Monday, because it will be 31 degrees, so he'll be warm enough.

Anyway, does this sound alright? What are your tips for washing? Ollie doesn't really like water, by the way.

Rachel.

Ooh, I didn't know there was already a topic about it in Bunny 101. I'll go look.

I think I will have to give him a wet bath, because since I waited so long to bath him, it has all dried up, and I doubt powder will have much effect. Hopefully I'll be able to give Ollie a bath later this afternoon, as it is very pleasent today. I'm going now to go and have a look at the puppy shampoo that we bought for our puppy, and see what it says.

Thank you!
Rachel.

We have to give are holland a bath usually once every 2 weeks sometimes once a week. He's so used to baths we just put him in the tub, but we just hold him so just his butt soaks in the water. I make my own soap so that's what I use or sometimes I use a milk & honey soap

I don't thinkmost puppy shampoos would be a good thing. We do have to bathe some of our rabbits quite a bit and have found that two products stand head and shoulders above the rest.

One is available at some vet clinics and also over the internet. It is made by a company knoen as Virbec. It is called Epi-Soothe. You can get a shampoo and a companion conditioner. It is oatmeal based. Smells great...works great....very gentle on the skin. This company also provide a couple of excellent ear flushes....a basic formula called Epi-Otic and a little more aggressive flush called Cerulytic.

Another product we have found to our liking is Hy Lyt. It can be purchased at most any pet store or grooming salon. Our rabbits that need regular bathing have come to be very calm...but they also know they are going to get a very special treat when it's done....positive reinforcement.

Randy

Latest posts

Back