Oliver has a weepy eye...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyPot

Reaction score
It started onSunday night. I was hoping it was just an irritation, so I watched it and it looked like it cleared up yesterday in the daytime, but then last night it was sort of wet again (although not weepy like it was on Sunday night). I cleaned it off with some saline.

Now today, it looks normal again, just a tiny bit red, no leaking as far as I can see, but I made a vet appointment anyway for tomorrow just in case it gets runny again tonight.

Nothing's changed in his environment, he's still eating/pooping like normal. No sneezing or runny nose etc.

Still hoping he just got poken in the eye by some hay... :)

Nadia

Cloud had a really weepy eye for a few days, and I was terrified, but thankfully, before I made the vets appointment, i saw a tiny piece of hair in the corner of his eye, I pulled and a HUGE hairball came out, and then the weeping cleared up.

Any chance of something like that? It might account for why it went away and came back. Especially if he is moulting.

I hope he's ok.

Hmm, good thinking - he is moulting right now. His first real moult I think. I'll check out his eye properly as soon as I can catch him. :)

Nadia

Sooo, we went to the vet today because last night Oliver's eye was still teary...

The vet said the first thing she thinks is eye infection, so she gave me drops and said we can either do a culture now, or see if the drops work and leave it at that. So I took the drops from her - will have to see what they are exactly.

If it gets worse, or in 15 days the eye is still at all weepy, I have to take him back in for a culture and possibly x-rays to see if he has a blocked tear duct (and the x-ray will also check for tooth issues etc.).

So that's the plan.

Of course tonight Oliver's eye is completely dry..... so I'm going to see if it's till red tomorrow. Maybe whatever irritation it was has gone away on it's own.

Nadia

Hey I missed this! Im glad our little guy is doing ok today. Could just be the moulting as someone mentioned, or just something like hay irritating his eye.

I hope its nothing more serious. Keep us posted!

Hmm.. no Ms Binky, she didn't do any tests... just said we should try the drops first and then start doing tests if that doesn't work.

To be honest, I haven't even given him teh drops yet - his eyes have been completly dry for the past 2 days/nights... so I'm thinking it might have just been something small that worked itself out.

I'm not sure if I should give the drops....

Glad to hear his eye is better! If it were me, I don't think I'd give the drops if the symptoms stopped....but others might know better.

Latest posts

Back