Older Bunny loosing weight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think DC is loosing weight, he's at least 10, what can I feed him to at least maintain a decent weight for the little guy? He lives with his friend Snookiums right now so I can't just add more pellets to the am diet. He gets lots of Orchard grass and Timothy hay. Maybe after work I can give him a few more pellets on his own?

DC is a tiny mini rex :)

You could top dress his pellets withsome rolled oats every so often. We used to get them at the feed store but now we just buy it at the grocery store. Quaker Oats or store brand100% whole grain oats, with nothing added. Black oil sunflower seeds also help put on weight, but don't overdo. You might want to start weighing him so you'll know for sure how his weight is doing.

Papaya and banana chips as treats? I would just want to make sure there were no other digestive issues for a senior bun that would make these treats a problem.

Are you sure the weight loss is a bad thing? Is he really too thin or just thinner than before? When I have been concerned about other senior pets loosing weight, vets have told me it can be healthier for them to be a little thinner as they age. Less strain on heart, etc.

Congratulations on giving him such a long life!
:clapping::party0002::clapping:

DC has never been overweight, so him loosing weight can't be a good thing. He really looks thin and sleeps a lot more than normal. I started to feed him pellets at night by himself so he can get a few more calories in him. He isn't active much if I let him out he choose to go back to his pen by jumping back in.

I'm just scared to loose him, I hate loose them. :'(

The only treats he gets are from Hartz I think. No junk food like banana chips are given to any of the bunny's.

I tried to weight me and then weigh booth of us, I only gained may a pound with him in my arms.

I know the feeling...it's very hard to think about our bunnies getting older or loosing them. I've learned from this site that they can live to be fourteen or even older. As a matter of fact, I know of a bunny who lived to be 18!

I think it's normal for them to be less active as they get older but you might ask your vet if he or she thinks everything's ok. Your bunnie is lucky to have you!

Hows his drinking and eating? is he overdrinking or overeating? My bun Olivia just passed away. She was losing weight but over eating and over drinking. It was a liver issue

We've usually given our "elder" buns alfalfa instead of orchard grass to help keep their weight up, but, you also need to be prepared for the inevitable outcome. Our girl Molly is over 15 now and this will probably be her last couple of weeks with us as she's really getting feeble.

I'm glad to hear that DC is still around to enjoy your company, and yours, his. :happybunny:

Since he's older I would go with treats also, like apples, papaya, banana, animal crackers if you have to to keep him eating and keep the weight on. Since he's not a younger bunny I would go that route. I hope everything goes well..

Vanessa

Latest posts

Back