Quantcast

Old boy and with tumor :-(

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

Wallemum

New Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Location
Worcester
I’ve had the worst couple of days.. I have a 7 year old male rabbit who is normally fit and healthy. Thursday morning I went out to feed him and he was absolutely fine, when I got home from work on the evening I went out to give him his dinner and cover him up for the night and noticed his eye was really enlarged and enflamed. He seemed really quiet and couldn’t bare the thought of him being in pain so took him to the out of hours vets. The vet said straight away that it was a cancer of his third eye, he listened to his heart and his degestige system and have us 3 choices.. have him put to sleep there and then, have him in for surgery Friday morning or seeing as he’s an old boy try him on pain relief and let him live out his days until we notice w change and he goes down hill.. I chose the third. Anyway, yesterday evening after a night of eye drops and pain relief I noticed his testicles were very enlarged so decided to take him back to my normal vets this morning. The vet wasn’t concerned with his eye but more concerned with his testicle which the other vet hadn’t checked on Thursday evening. She seems to thick he’s got an aggressive tumor in his testicle and perhaps his third eye has become enflamed because he is not very well - apparently this is common in rabbits? He’s 7 years old and the vet advised I could take him to a specialist to have him castrated but it wouldn’t be a normal procedure as the cord feels very thick.. with that it’s not guaranteed that the problem in his eye deffinitely isn’t a cancer.
He’s on pain relief twice a day and eye lubricting drops twice a day and to be honest he seems really perky. He’s eating, drinking, passing poo and wee normally, he’s washing himself and hopping about as normal at the moment.
I guess I want to know if anyone else has been in a similar situation and what they did? It’s a horrible choice to make. I feel he’s an old boy, although the vet couldn’t believe his age and immworried he would survive the operation - or he may never recover afterwards. I could put him through all of that for no reason. Or I could let him live out the rest of his life happy and painfree until his tumor in his testicles gets too big for him to be able to cope with. I’m confident he isn’t in pain at the moment but I just want to do what’s best for him.
Any help or advice would be warmly welcomed x
 

CharlieRae

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2018
Messages
87
Reaction score
20
Location
Wyoming
I would honestly treat him for pain and keep a close eye on him. At 7 years old he may not survive the surgery. It also does not hurt to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion, about the surgery, if you can afford it. I'm sorry about your poor sweet bunny boy.
 

Wallemum

New Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Location
Worcester
Thanks CharlieRae. It’s just so difficult knowing what to do for the best. I love him to bits and don’t want to see him go through something unnecessarily - even if I were to take him for a third opinion the car journey is 50 minutes to get there and I fear I’ll just stress him out. He seems fine in himself this morning, he’s been hopping around and enjoying his breakfast and carrot x
 

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 10, 2012
Messages
8,608
Reaction score
2,941
Location
Utah, , USA
You're in the UK correct? Could myxo be a possibility, it can cause swelling around the eyes and genitals. If your bun didn't have this vaccination and/or you think there is a chance this could be what your bun has, I would suggest getting your bun to a rabbit specialist or experienced rabbit vet as soon as possible today.
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/infectious-disease/myxomatosis

Regardless, I think getting another opinion from a specialist would be a good idea. If you think the car ride would be too much, maybe your vet could consult with the specialist instead. Or if your vet is a RWAF member, I believe they can do an email consult free of charge, with the specialist vet there, Richard Saunders. Or maybe see if there is a different rabbit vet near you that may be more experienced with rabbits.
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/list-of-vets-and-practices-that-have-been-recommended-by-rabbit-owners
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-vets/vet-membership/
 

Wallemum

New Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Location
Worcester
Hi there, I took Wall-e back to the vets on Saturday morning who confirmed it was deffinitely not myxo as that was my concern when I saw his swollen testicle. It is deffonetly a tumor in his testicle. He is responding really well to treatment, antibiotic eye drops 3 times a day and pain relief twice a day.
The vets did take photos so I’m going to request that they send them over to the specialist in Solihull.
 

Nancy McClelland

Larry
Supporting Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2007
Messages
16,637
Reaction score
1,524
Location
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
With our old bunnies, when they got cancer, we treated for pain and made sure they stayed with us as long as they still had some quality of life. We all here know it's painful to have to say goodbye, but, it's a fact of life. Our goal with all of our rescues is that they would have a good life with us.
 

Latest posts

Top