OK to feed alfalfa cubes to adult rabbit ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi…..i just learned that horses can have problems with intestinal blockage if they consume too much alfalfa. That got me wondering if the same can happen with rabbits?

My Ted is approximately 6 years old. He’s seemingly healthy……active, affectionate, playful, not much overweight (if at all). I occasionally mix in a little alfalfa with his 2nd cut Timothy hay, for variety’s sake. Now, I’m concerned about the possible negative effects of alfalfa, so I will discontinue that practice in the future.

But what about alfalfa cubes? Anybody have thoughts about whether these are safe for adult rabbits, or not? I give him a couple of cubes each night. I figured that they were good for dental health, and weren’t causing a weight problem. Now I’m wondering if they could cause blockage problems?

for the record I’ve tried giving him Timothy cubes, but he’s not enthusiastic about gnawing on them, he much prefers alfalfa cubes

E7C0A774-F441-48C2-A74D-66828021270D.jpeg

My concern would be that that many cubes every night could discourage him from eating enough of his regular timothy hay. He should be eating his body size in hay every day. The long strands of hay is what is great for dental health. Those long strands are chewed with a figure 8 motion that aids in the grinding of the teeth. The hard cubes do not do that. They are unnecessary as far as dental health goes.

If he's eating plenty of timothy hay, I don't see any harm in giving the occasional alfalfa cube. Personally, I'd lean toward just one and that would probably be every few days.

The issue with alfalfa hay for adult rabbits (whether in strands of cubes) is that it is a legume -- not a grass hay. Legumes are rather rich in proteins, fats and sometimes calcium. These can lead to digestive (or urinary) issues and could cause obesity. Along those lines, you may also want to check your brand of pellets. Many rabbit pellets are made with alfalfa as the primary ingredient. If that is the case, then you may want to either reconsider providing any additional alfalfa, OR consider transitioning to a timothy-based pellet.

If you do decide to make changes, do so gradually. At 6 years, he may be settled in his current diet so we wouldn't want to make any sudden upsets.

I only feed a cube or two to my pregnant and nursing does, and the kits when they are old enough to eat these until they begin to eat timothy hay. My adult rabbits eat only timothy hay and a few leaves of greens and seem to be doing well.

Thanks Blue eyes, great info. I’m glad to learn that those cubes don’t aid in dental health.

I found Ted in my yard several years ago, eventually caught him, and brought him inside. I estimate that he was maybe age two or three, then. I don’t know what his diet was previously, but he never seemed too interested in consuming Timothy hay. So I started smushing a small piece of banana, or a few blueberries into the hay, that got him interested in eating it. Recently I’ve also been getting that premium super soft hay, and he’ll eat that without any fruit added.

So anyway, he probably consumes a little too much fruit, and is a bit overweight. ( I checked, I can feel his spine + ribs, but only when I apply pressure. ) So, to reduce his weight a bit, and to avoid issues with digestion and urinary tract, I will stop giving him those alfalfa cubes. I’ll give him the Timothy cubes, and he can eat those….or not.

BTW I checked, the pellets I give him are Timothy based (oxbow essentials). He only gets 1/8 cup, every other day.

Wait- you caught Ted? Or was he in Danger?

I was referring to when I first saw Ted. What I think happened back then, was one of my neighbors moved away, and left him behind. So he was just roaming around the neighborhood for a while. I would see him in the evenings. He’d let me get close, then run away. I left food for him, built up trust, and eventually trapped him in an animal cage that I borrowed from the local animal society. I think it took ten days to trap him, and bring him in my house. Now we are best buddies.

I don’t know how much danger he was ever in. Neighbors here are pretty good about not letting their dogs roam free. There are house cats that roam around tho. Also raccoons, and an occasional opossum. There is an eagles nest about 2 miles away. On rare occasion when I bring Ted outside, if the eagle is overhead, he runs into his little bunny house and hides. It is amazing how far he can see, that eagle may be circling 300-400 feet in the air. I guess they can see each other lol. But he is in no danger now, he is safe and happy in my house.

Latest posts

Back