Oh no!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunny mom

Reaction score
hi I left my bunny in his cage last night in my room and i slept in the living room to watch a movie and In the morning he escaped out of his cage , and Thier was Chinese food in the room but It was in a to go box and my mom said in the morning the Chinese food was all over the floor. Could it be because he ate or possibly dropped it? And how can I check to see if he doesn’t have an stomach problems or diarrhea? Are they smart enough to know what not to eat?

Last edited:
No they are definitely not smart enough....
You will just have to wait and see.
Your best bet would be to pull the pellets and encourage him to drink more water and eat just hay.
Offer a water bowl if you dont already. You can attempt to spike it with a small dash of Apple Juice to bring interest.
Be prepared to syring feed if he stops eating completely. Pulverized pellets with water or pedialyte is fine.
Ideally you should have Infant Gas Drops in a first aid kit for him.
Keep an eye out for true diarrhea these next 2 or so days and be prepared to run to a vet.

Oh ok what harm could the Chinese food cause? And will just water and hay help get it out of his system , because I have read that harmful foods could leave to death and my rabbit Is still a baby he is only about 4 months and I had gotten him 3 weeks ago. he keeps getting out of his cage and jumping and running everywhere around the house that is not bunny proofed , and I don’t want anything to Happen. And i have seen him chew on random things such as cardboard and fake plants? So what disease can he get and how do I know when I have to take him to the vet?

So the diseases he could get is direahha or infant gas? And how do I know for sure if he got it , so I could take him to the vet?

In reality he likely didnt eat much if any.
Id be more worried about digestive upset then the food itself doing other harm. Its not chocolate or xylitol.
The "harmful" stuff like mushrooms garlic onion salt etc... makes up such a tiny % of the food that unless it was all missing he probably didnt consume enough to do any harm.
I know the chinese food we get often has big chunks of onion rather then just enough to season but I cant imagine a bun eating multiple chunks of that yucky tasting stuff.
But you are also encouraging extra water consumption to help the guts and flush the system in a sense. So I wouldnt worry too much. Just help his tummy if it gets upset.

You really need to fix his cage as this sounds like a frequent issue.

So in this case all that will happen is him getting an upset stomach or infant gas? Because when I saw the Chinese food it was all cut up and their was chicken but up into pieces and it was all over the floor thier wasn’t a lot of Chinese food tho , it was mango chicken and fried rice and a little bit of noodles.

Last edited:
So in this case all that will happen is him getting an upset stomach or infant gas? .

An upset stomach for a rabbit can lead to GI stasis, so it isn't "just" an upset stomach. The symptoms are refusing to eat and/or a change in poos (tiny poos or no poos at all). If you begin to see signs of refusing to eat, that is when you offer the infant gas drops (simethicone). That relieves the gas that causes pain. Often that is enough to get them eating again. A rabbit's gut needs to be continually working. That is why it is important that they keep eating.

Hay does wonders to keep their gut moving and healthy. It is why Watermelons suggested offering plenty of hay and water.

If you ever see true diarrhea (watery), that warrants a trip to the vet (again, as Watermelons said).

If he is still eating (especially hay), drinking and pooping, then he'll be fine.

He is still drinking and eating hay and his poop are dark little circles that are not really watery and when I gave him some mint he ate so does this mean he is fine?

Sounds like he is fine though I don't know what you mean by "dark little circles." Is this his normal poo? Rabbit poos are generally about the size of Cocoa Puffs cereal. If they seem a little different then normal, but he is eating as well as you describe, then his poos will likely return to normal soon enough. Poos are a good indicator of a rabbit's digestive health, so knowing what is normal for him and keeping an eye out for abnormalities is always a good idea.

Latest posts

Back