OH NO!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyrul

Reaction score
I have been watching a friend's 3 y/o boy. I am not used to having a toddler any more. I left my bucket with cleaning supplies down, without thinking because my kids do not mess with it. C sprayed my rabbit with Kaboom, her head and face got a good misting.

I first tried just rubbing it off with a wet microfiber towel but she still smelled of Kaboom so I sprayed her head with the sink sprayer then toweled her off. This thoroughly ticked her off and she nipped me twice.

You think she will be okay? It cannot be good for her eyes, which look fine.

He is so ornery today. Whacked the dog with a stick, sprayed the rabbits. squashed the cat ... my kids were raised with the animals (cats, dogs and birds)and taught to be gentle from infancy. Never allowed to pull hair or be rough. I have a feeling we are going to spend a lot of time in time out :(

Goodness. Good luck teaching him how to interact with animals. I hope no one gets hurt.

My husband teaches chess lessons from our home. It's amazing how different the kids are if they are raised with animals vs not. Most of his kids from an Indian culture are actually afraid of the animals. The cats have to be locked out of the living room during the lesson.

I know! Since everyone I know has kids and animals, this is so foreign to me! It is just as frustrating as been around a dog or cat that hates children or people and the owner refuses to control the animal because it might "hurt" its feelings.

I have another pet related issue, last week when taking the dogs to the dog park with my girls, my dogs jumped out the window when I was at a stop sign. Lucy's new collar & leash was not tight enough and came off. Hairy's did not so he was sort of restrained. but they ran into heavy traffic and Lucy was hit before we could catch her. Since she died, Hairy now tries to hump every cat and bunny. WHY?

LakeCondo wrote:
Wow, what a problem child. I hope he can learn empathy; the old "How would you feel if someone did [that] to you?"
I wouldn't call him a problem child :( He's only 3 and it sounds like he hasn't been around animals. He just needs to be taught how to treat animals properly.

Cheyrul, I hope your poor bun will be okay and so sorry to hear about your dog!

Nature vs. Nurture. We had neighbors who let their kids run wild and no animal in their house lasted more than a week. It really pissed me off. Raise your kids right for goodness sake. It's not fair to the rest of the world to have to guard against progeny that act like they have zero upbringing.

I am trying to teach him empathy but it is going slow :( He let the dog out when we were taking my son to work, which is not really a problem because Hairy rides with me all the time (which was why I never expected the dogs to jump out the window) but Hairy was sitting next to C's carseat and he kept pulling tufts of hair out. That makes me cranky! Hairy is an Airedale or Schnauzer mix, so he has weird coarse hair and does not shed much. This was kind of like hand stripping the dog, which is not supposed be painful but not something you do in a car! With the windows partially down.

C has gotten much gentler with the buns but mostly because I will not let him hold them himself, he can sit by them and pet or sit with me. The cats either tolerate him or scurry away before he can catch them.

So far Nutmeg seems fine, her eyes are clear and not runny and she has forgiven me for spraying her LOL! A half wet bunny is funny looking.

When I taught preschool, we had a class hamster. The hamster was not my idea at all, for obvious reasons. But I had to deal with her and we developed a system we called "Gentle Hands" in order to keep the hamster safe when being handled (and to keep the kids from being bit). It also helped when I brought my rabbits in to work with me for visits. Basically, you teach that touching should always be gentle, there are no pokes or squeezes or pulls or tugs or scratches or hits when you use your "gentle hands". Usually all it takes is a good talk where you demonstrate gentle touches with whatever the animal is and then when the kids are interacting or about to interact you reiterate "gentle hands", always modeling "gentle hands" yourself, of course. Plus kids love mantras, and it's more fun for them when they can repeat a "rule" back to you as it makes them feel more confident and in control. Kids that age are usually into people pleasing while still struggling to establish their own selfs, so that's the best of both worlds for that age group.

He'll pick up on how you and the people in your house treat animals, but don't be shy to correct him or redirect his interactions in a more positive manner. Removing him from the situation or temptation (you called it a time out) is beneficial if he is hurting the animal on purpose or if the animals are getting too stressed from his attentions.

Kids and animals together are always an adventure, that's for sure. I have a daughter who just turned two and she can be a little too enthusiastic, especially when it comes to cats, because we've never had any at home. It just takes a lot of reminding, is all.

Glad Nutmeg is okay though. :) I once adopted a rat who had been sprayed in the face with bleach and was blinded because of it. No bueno.

Latest posts

Back