Oh jilly beans - flooring options?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jilly beans

Reaction score
We are stuck still on flooring any suggestions, vinyl or outdoor carpet ,or even a wood panel are a definite no, lol we are struggling to offer our sweet but challenging bun a secure and safe flooring , she eats everything so far and or is peeing on it . So hurl some at me we are heading to lowes today and hopeful that there is some magic flooring cover out there! 🐰💗

If you are looking for something to go on top of existing carpet (temporary) then textured rolled linoleum is an option. The key for any vinyl or lino flooring is to be sure that the edges of it are not accessible to the rabbit. If she can't get to the edges, she can't chew it.

If you go to Lowe's and check out their various rolled vinyl/lino flooring, be sure to feel it with your hand and be sure it isn't slippery. Many are slippery. But there are some that feel gritty-- almost like the feel of a brick.

I don't have a better photo, but imagine this concept with exercise pen walls. Here is an old C&C cage that has a piece of rolled lino for the floor that was just set on top of the existing carpet. Then the walls of the cage were set right on the edge to prevent bunny from accessing the edges when she was inside the cage with doors closed.

This idea can be imitated with exercise pen walls or, better yet, would be to lay some 2x4s down on each side of the pen to secure the pen walls in place and keep them from slipping off of the lino.

1646593079851.jpeg

If vinyl flooring won't work for you, I've had success using the foam puzzle mats with the fake wood veneer on the surface. It was fairly non slip and cushioning, and the smooth wood veneer surface I found helped keep my rabbits from wanting to chew at the foam tiles for the most part, though this won't stop a very determined rabbit. You do have to try and seal the connection seams though, or that will be a point to chew at, as well as getting leakage from urine accidents. You need a really good sealant tape. I used mat tape, and it worked pretty well, but if you have a rabbit that frequently leaves puddles outside the litter box, it will leak eventually. And I found you can't use vinegar on the tiles to clean or the surface veneer will bubble.

These are the ones I used. They also have a 3/8 inch thickness. Other online shops have them, includding amazon.

https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/interlocking-tile/foam/soft-wood-tile.html#!

Other options might be rubber exercise equipment matting, or horse stall mats are non slip and pretty indestructible but can be heavy.

Yeah she ate the linoleum from center and all over it had no bends or edges we have hard wood floor she was eating that too! She ate my yoga mat as well🥺 okay thanks all we bought a new vinyl and new rug again it is of a sea grass material we are hopeful lol

If the vinyl gets chewed up again, maybe try horse stall mats next. If she can't get to the edges, I can't see how she could chew those up. They're pretty sturdy. Though I guess a really determined rabbit will probably find a way 🤣 Only other option I can think of is ceramic tiles(or concrete). They're certainly chew proof, just not ideal to have flooring be a hard surface. But it could come down to it being your only chew proof option. You would just have to keep an eye out for sore hocks developing.

Making sure to provide lots of other chewing activities can help divert a rabbits energy.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Toys_and_games

I will check out horse mats thank you! Im just trying to save the house !she has tons of toys and rotated but again appreciate all advise thank you so much we are not giving up we love the bun ,holy terror , softest nightmare , challenger …. Sweet little destructor those are just the few of the nicknames we have for the nicest softest cutest little friend 🐰

So far so good ! There is a door at either end , and I do NOT go in ! I switch out pan from left door add hay from top and pet and love her at the doors . I change only one toy with other and wait to see if she does that disturbed walk away and kick out . I noticed she did that when l left one time and thought huh she doesn’t like when I’m in there! She loves me to pieces and is so sweet and will sit with me for hours but it seems she has borders and that’s what it is , cool beans I can totally respect that ! Just thought I would share

Latest posts

Back