Oddly picky about hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My little Dortmund is picky about his hay. If I give it to him where he normally eats, he ignores it. Won’t even touch it. And begs for better tasting snacks. But if I hide an unopened box of hay under a table, within hours of my hiding it, he will have started gnawing a hole in the side of the box to get to the tasty treat inside.

i should point out that the last time I bought hay to hide from him I cut a small hole in the side for him to get access. He ignored this hole and proceeded to nibble his way though the cardboard, until one day when I heard an angry thumping and discovered he had wedged himself in the box and couldn't get out.

Hi, what other food and snacks you give him and how big his daily portion of pellets, what brand and percentage of fiber, protein, and what types of hay. It is possible that his diet is too satisfying and he is not interested in hay.
If he likes challenges you can stuff his toys with hay and he will eat more hay that way.

It could have to do with the spot where you usually offer him hay. If the position and situation just doesn't feel right for him (like bad Feng Shui :D) small changes, like the way he's facing when eating there, might be worth a try.
They like to eat'n'poop, a hay rack at the litter box often works fine.

Food always tastes better when you had to work for it and you have a sense of achievment about it :D

Lawrence is famously picky about his hay. I find that they will "hold out" for foods they like better, if they are getting a variety over the course of the day. I think limiting his options would lead to more hay consumption. Fresh greens are great, but the higher fiber grasses are better. I'd also limit the amount of kale. Lots of oxalate, which isn't a problem except in high concentrations.

Also, a toilet tissue roll stuffed (tight) with hay works wonders! 😂

Latest posts

Back