Odd looking growth on old bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DZee

Reaction score
Hi folks..new to the forum & wanting to ask a question.

I am sure I probably won't have all the information you are requesting..but hope I can give you as much as I know.

I have a 7 yr. old (female - non spayed)dwarf Netherlands bunny. She is housed indoors & has always been kept "clean". I noticed yesterday she has a growth on her chest. It is hard..red and about the size of a quarter. The hair around it is gone. Yesterday was the first time I had even noticed a problem. It seemed to of appeared almost overnight. She is an old bunny..but up to this point has been very healthy. She is still using her litter box..although she is not eating like she normally does. She also has lost weight over the last few months..but as I stated..she is getting old. She also seems to be a bit less active..but not extremely quiet . That is why I didn't really notice anything different with her. I checked her teeth for possible absess..not a problem.This LOOKS to be a tumor..but I just don't know?? I wiped it down last night & applied antibacterial ointment ( which she then wiped away)..so I am not sure what I can actually DO for her. I am calling our vet regarding this to bring her in..but wanted to see if I could get any suggestions from any of you first. *thanks*

Diane Z

There is really no way for us to know what it is without seeing it at least . If it is a growth with irregular borders it could be a malignancy ...maybe not.

I have an older male with a fatty tumor on his side but it has remained relatively small

The vet can biopsy it or identify it by its appearance .
if you want to post a pic that could help us some

Many older bun do get growths that are benign are are just part of being older. ..then again she is not spayed and that is a concern

Not sure exactly how to post a pic...but this is what her growth looks like. It is pretty nasty to look at. Located right underneath her jaw..on the front of her chest. And I am ashamed to say I only noticed this yesterday. It seemed to of happened so quickly..but it had to of been there and I just didn't see it. It seriously was NOT visable until then..as the hair covered it beforehand.
I just fed her her favorite greens..and she is eating & acting fiarly normal. That is what has me confused as to what this really IS? I realize 7 yrs. old is pretty old for a dwarf..but I love her..and would like to help her if I can.

SD535398.jpg

I believe that this is a jaw abscess; they can pop up suddenly and often are caused by dental issues. They need to be treated very aggressively with usually a combo of antibiotics ( injectable bicillin (2 penicillins ) and an oral antibiotic with a kick to it like azithromycin)

You need to see a rabbit saavy vet who has some dental skills. Your bun will need xrays of his skull and teeth in order to find the source of the problem ; often abscesses form from either infected teeth or gums or infections in tooth roots which go deep into the rabbits jaw.

Abscesses can form from other problems but it is often teeth.

Our wildlife rehabber mod and resident expert , Randy, has treated rabbits successfully with strong antibiotics alone ;

other vets may remove diseased teeth etc

Opening the abscess and scraping out the pus is not the answer; that can be done however the infection will return without strong antibiotics.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11791&forum_id=10

Thank you for the quick reply. I called our Vet and spoke to them about her. Told them what you stated..and they will check that out. I pray you are right and this can get taken care of. Thanks so much for your help.

It's a bit hard to tell exactly where the root of it is, looks almost like it might be on the dewlap rather than the jaw itself.

The vet will be able to tell you more once they've had a chance to prod it a bit.

Like angieluv said they do pop up quick so don't kick yourself too much, it might not have been there at all a few days ago.

angieluv wrote:
I believe that this is a jaw abscess; they can pop up suddenly and often are caused by dental issues. They need to be treated very aggressively with usually a combo of antibiotics ( injectable bicillin (2 penicillins ) and an oral antibiotic with a kick to it like azithromycin)
My first thought was possibly a cyst but after seeing those photos, I agree, it looks and sounds like a jaw abscess to me as well.

Latest posts

Back