Odd behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaunaDarling

Reaction score
As posted before, my husband and I are trying to breed our buns. Both dwarfs. We have put them together about 3/4 times bow, in sessions of 5 minutes to 2 hours. We have had no success but are keeping them aquainted and socialized with each other. My little boy is such a gentleman he doesn't even seem to want to mount her and try now that she turned him away so many times. He almost seems discouraged. Aha. He is so sweet. And we know it is possible for some rabbits to just not get along. Which we thought may have been the problem at first...we no longer think this to be the case because they now lay next to each other inches appart completely relaxed and seemingly non interested. We are doing a few things to hopefully help her get ready and believe it's time to be a mommy again. Like putting a small amount of apple cider vinegar in her water, having her in his cage on and off and trying some light cycles for her routine. We don't know if their behavior is abnormal in the way that we are in very breif movements helping them sniff the right end and what not and they way they are reacting from at first her being so scared and skiddish and him just respecting her space but also very interested. Do I have a shy buck? Do I have e a female who just isn't ready yet and they both kinda know that, or do I have some odd pair who don't wanna Netflix and chill, but actually just chill. Lol. Weigh in on what you think please. Any opinions appreciated. I'm going to post pictures attached to this so you guys can see if I can. :)
Thanks!
Much love. Xoxo

It’s kind of unusual that an intact buck will not try to mount a doe after that many encounters. Part of what gets a buck interested in mating is the actions of the doe. If she starts running this usually will get the inexperienced buck interested in going after her. I had one doe that rarely was in the mood and I ended up table breeding her.
It doesn’t happen too often, but it’s possible that your buck might be sterile (the testicles have already dropped, right?).

Oh yes his testies are very large. We took him out of the smaller box we tried them in (because we have tried in his cage a couple times and thought making a smaller area may help) and I showed him his stuffy bear that I have trained him to hump instead of me, and he immediately mounted the stuffed animal, so I put him straight back into the box, held her still and showed him again what to do, but it seemed he knew she was scared and just didn't want to scare her more. I know this is totally a human analogy but it's the best way to describe their behavior. Should we try in the cage again to get her running the way she was? He did chase after her when that was the case.

We would normally put the doe in the bucks cage for breeding...it was big enough for them to move around. We only moved them to a smaller area if the doe kept running around the cage and tired him out trying to keep up with her.

funny you say that, we put them in a smaller box because of that very problem. please check out my newest thread for extremely exciting updates!!!!! they didnt do it...but we got a lil Christmas miracle ;)

Latest posts

Back