Odd behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valaria243

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a pair of sisters that are almost 5 years old. They are not spayed yet but usually, they are pretty well-behaved. The dominant one, Sassy has started (maybe 2-3 months ago) doing this odd behavior usually in the AM. She will pick up some hay and newspapers in her mouth and just carry it around for 10-40 minutes (see picture). She will then jump back and forth over her Sister. I don't see anything immediately harmful in this but was wondering if anyone else has had this happen?
Sassy carry small.jpg

I've had a confused neutered male do that (with his hay). My niece also had her doe do the same (with grass). Am trying to find a photo. I believe it's related to nesting (funny as it may be for fixed rabbits).
1607638332879.png

Last edited:
It's nesting behavior. When it's not a pregnant doe we are talking about, most commonly it is due to a false pregnancy, which is temporary and will pass. However, if you have had her for years and she never did this until now, I would be concerned because your doe is an unspayed older rabbit, and especially if the behavior continues and doesn't stop after a few days. As female rabbits get older, they can be more susceptible to developing uterine cancer. 5 years old is about when the research showed the rate goes way up. So this is something it would be a good idea to carefully consider and maybe take your bun in to be checked by a knowledgeable rabbit vet, or just go ahead and schedule a spay.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Latest posts

Back