Odd behavior with head/ neck?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariah

Reaction score
Ok so I picked up Kiwi this morning before work for some cuddles. I was sitting on the floor with her and she jumped onto the ground (not far). I put her back in her cage, took a shower and then took her out again. When I put her back in she started lightly jerking her head/ neck back and forth and I heard what sounded like her teeth lightly chattering?

Then she stopped, started eating her hay and jumped out of her litter box for her pellets.

What does this mean??!! I've never experienced this before with Citrus.

Thanks!

Hi! Thank you for the reply :)

It was just the two times I saw her do it. She has been sneezing a tiny bit, but no discharge. Do you think the two symptoms could be related? I think I mentioned before, everything else is normal.

Should I take her to the vet? If she does have a cold, i don't want Citrus to pick it up...

Ok update: The head neck behaviour has to do with her sneezing. She just did it again, and it was like she was gearing up to sneeze (head going up and down), and then she sneezed a couple of times. Again, no discharge, and shes acting completely normal.

A couple of questions:

1) Could it be alllergies? Shes only sneezed so far when shes in her cage. I use aspen shavings. Could they be too dusty? Her hay is not all at dusty.

2) Is it a cold?

I phoned my vet this morning and the vet suggested changing her litter to either paper sheads or a towel. I dont want to use a towel cause I dont want her to think its ok to pee on "soft things". What kind of non dusty beddding can I change her too to see if it is an allergy?

Any advice, suggestions, would be great.

If shes still sneezing by Monday, I will take her to the vet.

When I first got my rabbit Marley she sneezed a lot. I'm not sure why but there was never discharge or any other things to indicate she was sick. So I watched closely but eventually she grew out of it. I figured it was the hay because she came from a breeder and I don't know how much hay or what kind she fed. Eventually she got used to it.

However, if you feel a vet visit is in order please don't hesitate! I'm not a vet and so I can't say whether or not she is sick. I'm just sharing one of my experiences.

For bedding, you could try Wood Pine Pellets. They work really well and are not very dusty, if not dusty at all! And the pine pellets are okay because they have been kiln dried, making it safe. :) It also isn't stinky at all and there is never any smell for me!

Well update for everyone today: Kiwi is still sneezing but not as much, and still no discharge, runny eyes/ nose etc. Everything is normal about her. I find she sneezes more when shes in her cage in the bedroom. I made an exercise pen for her in the living room from the NIC cubes that I hear everyone talking about. She dosent sneeze as much in the living room so Im hoping its an allergy to something in the bedroom?

Ive spoken to my breeder and she thinks that because theres no discharge, it might just be an allergy. She said I can bring her back and exchange her for something else... I dont want to do that though!! Shes settling in so nicely so far, and Citrus likes her. I havent had my two bunnies together since I noticed the sneezing in case it is a URI.

She suggested finding a weeping willow tree and boiling the branches to make a tea and putting it in her bottle. Has anyone tried this before?

Im going to hold off taking her to vet today.

Boz - thank you for the suggestion - Ive switched her to the Carefresh bedding for now :)

Update: Kiwi went to the vet today. She is now on Baytril, twice daily orally. Hopefully this will clear up her URI. If not, she will have to go back for a culture...

Hi there,

I took Kiwi to the vet last week. I did see two tiny discharges from the nose, twice. My vet put her on Baytril twice daily for two weeks. It's been just over a week now since Kiwis started her antibiotics and there has been no more discharge but shes still sneezing, just not as bad.

Any suggestions?

Yes, but vets hate when you recommend stuff they haven't. Zithromax is a great, strong one that will fight everything. You may want to mention to your vet that Baytril is quite similar to Amoxacillin in humans, it's the least of resistance.

Hopefully, you'll get some more posts soon.

Latest posts

Back