Obese bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halimabrooks

Reaction score
To get straight to the point I have a bunny 2 or 3 years old (white lop named Alfie), he has a very big chin? I’m not sure what it’s called but when he’s standing he has this long droopy skin in the front and when he’s laying down it’s sort of caressing his little face. I’m sorry for my bad explanation but I am pretty worried that it might be effecting him because he can’t clean himself as well as before, yes he can groom himself in places but it looks like a struggle if that makes sense.

If it’s weight related could you please suggest what I could do, or if this isn’t normal then could anyone please tell me what might be causing it and what I need to do to help him?

Also when I felt the skin it is super soft and there didn’t seem to be any lumps just loose skin basically.

71B3054B-84C1-4E6C-BAD7-882716431D5A.jpeg How confident are you that he is male? Female rabbits develop a dewlap, which is a fold of skin/fat under the chin, which sounds quite like what you described. However, if he is a male with a dewlap, that is usually due to being overweight. Best way to check is to do a body condition score (using the chart above).

View attachment 38603 How confident are you that he is male? Female rabbits develop a dewlap, which is a fold of skin/fat under the chin, which sounds quite like what you described. However, if he is a male with a dewlap, that is usually due to being overweight. Best way to check is to do a body condition score (using the chart above).

He is definitely a male, he is neutered. And thank you so much for replying, I will definitely try this out. My concern was that he is depressed after loosing his best friend recently. And also when we first got him we were told his brother was separated from him. I feel bad that now he’s alone and maybe that is why he’s not moving about and being happy like usually. Anyway I’m rambling thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back