Oats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Futurebunmom

Reaction score
How do you feed your rabbit oats and what type do you feed? I’m trying to get my rabbit to gain weight

@Preitler I've always used oats as a treat for my rabbits... is there anything to worry about when feeding them? What I mean is, I know they're not a substitute for hay or pellets, but can they cause problems? Should I avoid large quantities? Just curious! Thanks!

Well, oats are the best grain for rabbits, next would be barley I guess - but it's still grain. High in calories and carbohydrates, I wouldn't free feed it but limit it to a tablespoon or two per day, split into 2 servings, depending on bunny size. I don't know for sure but think that if they stuff themself it could still cause some upset, despite being easily digestable. It's a great supplement though.
Another supplement for more calories are black sunflower seeds, can't get those here so sprinkle some sunflower seed oil on my nursing does oats.

If your rabbit is losing weight, s/he needs a visit to the rabbit vet to find the cause of the weight loss. It's no good just trying to deal with a symptom. Oats are not recommended at all. High carb food should generally be avoided.

How do you serve rolled oats? Do you cook it in plain boiling water?

No, just put it in front of them. Or dampen it.

If your rabbit is losing weight, s/he needs a visit to the rabbit vet to find the cause of the weight loss. It's no good just trying to deal with a symptom. Oats are not recommended at all. High carb food should generally be avoided.

Sure, the reason for weight loss should be determined, but nonetheless sometimes a rabbit needs to be fattened up, or needs more calories to not lose weight like some nursing does, no point in watching it wither away. Oats are ok for that, in limited quantities, and it isn't a problem when needed.
High carb food is not the right stuff for a normal diet, but is ok as a supplement when needed.

The question is, is it needed? Healthy rabbits can be pretty lean, they have quite easily problems with fat buildup. So right, there should be a good reason to feed oats.

Last edited:
Thanks! He is a little under weight- he is a large baby bun who is still growing. He has all day access to his pellets and hay and gets lfresh greens everyday

Hm, what type of rabbit is he, and what size? Mine, ca. 10lbs, have some checkered giant heritage in them, and tend to grow lanky in lenght and bones and fill out later. it's just the way they grow. Calories don't change that much, they mainly just add fat - which isn't really good. Normally they know pretty well what they need, and with pellets and hay available all the time he isn't going to starve.
If he isn't actually skinny I wouldn't feed too much oats, a little doesn't hurt though. Great treat for training.

Attachments

• Buck3.jpg
    Buck3.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Thanks! He is a little under weight- he is a large baby bun who is still growing. He has all day access to his pellets and hay and gets lfresh greens everyday
What pellets you feed him, brand or ingredients with % for protein, fibre, calcium.
What type of hay?
How old is he, what is his weight?
Can you post some pics of him?

I give a pinch of uncooked oatmeal to two of our bunnies every morning. To them it is a treat and they enjoy the ritual of waiting to be served. :) They don't let me forget. :)

I give a pinch of uncooked oatmeal to two of our bunnies every morning. To them it is a treat and they enjoy the ritual of waiting to be served. :) They don't let me forget. :)
Which brand? Make sure there is no added sugar :))

I’m not home right now- from my memory it’s mana pro 18% proteins, Timothy hay organic Tops pellets and lots of leafy greens. he is a about 6mos and English angora. The rolled outs are organic sprouted rolled oats - I’ve been reading conflicting things about the oats so I didn’t want to keep giving it to him if it would be bad for him. He’s gotten 1/4 of a cup of rolled oats twice over two weeks. He grazes throughout the day and has the run of the house pretty much. So he does get to hop around and stretch.
Do you all have toys you recommend?
I have lots of safe chew toys -balls and apple wood. He’s not a fan of the Apple wood I ordered online but does enjoy tossing his balls.

The hulled and rolled oats are about as raw and basic as one can get. I get them from the bulk section of our grocery store. Regardless of brand, all hulled and rolled oats ought to be very similar.

Latest posts

Back