Oat hay vs. Timothy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious too Ivory....it seems the values of oat hay top out at about 10% protein....but I bet the ones with alfalfa or legume mix is much higher. Most of our buns love the oat hay....and we have no weight gain and great GI tracts. But the real benefit of this thread is that I have found some excellent hay sources....will do some more research on them and post their info if their product appears to be high quality.

Randy

I've never tried the oat hay before. I've used Bermuda, brome, timothy, and orchard, and given some alfalfa as a treat hay. I will have to order some, I'm running low on the Bermuda/brome mix I give my buns.

One interesting thing, the younger any hay is cut, whether grass hay or legume, the higher the protein levels. As the plant matures, the protein is replaced by cellulose and starches. This can make a larger difference- even between an 8% protein level and a 14% protein level. So perhaps that is why there is so much different information- because some crude analyses will give different levels for the same kind of hay. For instance, I've seen a particular brand of grass hay give an analysis of 12% protein- just timothy hay, no legume hay mixed in. And yet there are some (most) that give an analysis of 6-8%.

I am still curious, however, and will read up some more on the subject when I have a little more time.

Edit: Because I am silly and misspelled something.

Ivory wrote:
This can make a larger difference- even between an 8% protein level and a 14% protein level. So perhaps that is why there is so much different information- because some crude analyses will give different levels for the same kind of hay. For instance, I've seen a particular brand of grass hay give an analysis of 12% protein- just timothy hay, no legume hay mixed in. And yet there are some (most) that give an analysis of 6-8%.
Sorry this took so long to post, I was having login problems!

This is very true. I wish I could find were I got this comparison from. But I found charts of comparison of protein and fiber levels over the weeks that hay is left in the field. I can't remember exactly what type of hay but it was a grass hay that the comparison was done on. At week 3 of growth, the hay had 14% protein, but by the end of week 12, the protein was at 6%. Most first cut hay is cut at around 6-8 weeks and the protein levels at that time were about 8% - 9%. Second cut hay will have even less protein. And, as time goes on, fiber actually increases. At week 3 the fiber was at 27% but at week 12 the fiber was at 34%.

As you can see, the percentage differences are not small based on the time it was cut, they are rather drastic. Also, keep in mind that the area it's grown in can have an effect, soil differences can affect the hay.

Hi All,

This thread really got me curious so I have doing some research. I have never seen any grass hay go much over 8% or so in protein. However, I have found one, a second cut timothy offered by American Pet Diner, that advertises a minumum of 13% protein. I am going to contact APD and find out some specifics. I am looking forward to hearing their findings on this hay.

Actually I am quite happy that I am not feeding that hay if the protein content is accurate. I would have some extremely obese bunnies. I'll post their reply to my inquiry.

Randy

Hi All,

I just received a reply from APD confirming that their "Timothy Gold" is a grass hay and is a minimum of 13% protein. Wow is all I can say about that. This calls for more research so off I go.

Randy

Latest posts

Back