O/T: The Village by M. Night Shyalaman

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MyBunnyBoys wrote:
Luvabun,

No word of a lie, I'm not a people person. I avoid being aroundpeople as often as I can, I even find school daunting because of theamount of people. I'm what you would consider and introvert, a verystrong one! We did some tests for a school class and I came out as 90%introvert and 10% extrovert. For those who don't know, an introvert isshy, quiet, and reserved while an extrovert is outgoing and very muchliking to be the center of attention. Anyways, enough babbling, I trulyam shy and don't enjoy being with lots of people!
Laura, very interesting analysis. Sounds very much like mypersonality. I'm very shy, but that can be misleading as I'musually the "life of the party" in my social circle. I feelvery uncomfortable in crowds and around people I don't know, but I tendto be personable to everyone. School was a stretch for me tooin terms of the social aspects for the reasons stated above.

I knew very young that I wasn't a people person and didn't enjoyworking in the corporate world at all when I did so; hencewhy I chose a profession(s) where I could work at home.

That's one good thing about the Internet, surepeople can fake their personality on the Internet but sooner or laterthey will crack. The great thing, is you get to know a personspersonality before ever getting to see them or know too much about age,background, etc. Stereotypes in our society create such a large varietyof problems for people, young and old, colored or not and we have allmanaged to put those differences aside and speak civilly to one anotherand when we actually learn about the person, it's not a big dealanymore.

BunnyMommy,

It was really amazing to do these tests. It's called the MBTI (MyersBriggs Type Indicator) that we did in a class to figure out futurecareers for ourselves. Well after doing the test, it gave me apersonalityprofile to read and it was 100% acurate, not aword wrong, any of my friends could have read it and said that was meto a tee. The most interesting thing I found, was that at the end itgave the types of jobs I would be good at with my personality type, andit came up with Physician: family, general practise and as you knowthat's a very involved job with people, I still have no clue why thatcame up! It's amazing, computers ask a few questions and can tell youwho you are!

P.S.- I too am very shy around strangers but as soon as I'm with peopleI know well, I'm talkitive and hyper. I still don't like large groupsof people, I avoid them at all costs, even if they are myfriends/family.

Actually, being an introvert vs. an extrovertdoes not have that much to do with being shy vs. outgoing. An introvertis someone who needs frequent "quiet time" away from people toreplenish their energies. An extrovert is energized by interactions, bypeople. Being shy or outgoing is more about upbringing, lifeexperiences, and the situation at hand. Quite often, you'll findintroverts that are at the center of attention and extroverts thatavoid it. It's a common misconception.

~M

M.E., what an excellent insight! Thankyou for sharing this with us. This is a concept of which Iwas unaware and makes perfect sense. I'm going to print outyour post, study it for a while, and do a little research.Knowledge is the key to self discovery.

Laura, this website has an excellent exam that pinpoints yourpersonality with an exceptionally high degree of accuracy and helps oneto choose a proper career path for his/her personality as well as skillset:

www.assessment.com

Well, I was just going on what I wastaught.I took a summer school course to lighten my load fornext year, it's called CALM (Career and Life Management). We weretaught that introverts were shy and reserved while extroverts tend tobe outgoing, I never thought twice about it seeing as when we dividedup into our groups, all the introverts wanted to work alone and it wasa chore to strike up conversation to do our assignment together. Butfrom my experience, I've never met an introvert at the center ofattention, all the ones I know, prefer to be in the background but maylike to be the center of attention in their own little groups offriends. And all the extroverts I know want to be seen, and they makethemselves seen.

:?That might sound a bit rude but I'm really not trying to be.

Oh no, that's fine. For the most part, becauseintroverts are almost exhausted by interactions with people, they doavoid the limelight. But it's because of where their energies lie, notbecause they are shy or reserved. For instance, my dad is very much anintrovert, yet he is a pastor. He is up in front of people on at leasta weekly basis, he is in large groups, talking to new people all thetime. Makes sense as part of his job, of course, but when he is off ofwork, he avoids that many people at all costs. Not that he doesn't likepeople. But he needs frequent breaks to replenish. That's what I wastrying to say.

~M

M.E., are you a human behavior professional(psychologist, psychiatrist, sociologist, social worker,etc.)? I ask because you seem to be very knowledgeableabout this type of subject. I've noticed that you've alsoposted some really good info on other threads with ancillarytopics.

Heh. Thank you, but no. I'm a college student,actually, but I hate not knowing the answer to just about anything, soI tend to be a bit obsessive about knowledge. Ask u8myhouse -I'msuch a geek :D. My idea of fun is learning about a subjectthat I previously had no knowledge in.

The personality thing I studied a few years back, when my parents hadme take the Meyers-Brigg, to give me a better idea of how to applymyself for college and a future career. I myself am stronglyintroverted, but you can find me in large groups and even in front ofpeople (I'm taking a public speaking course this semester, so thatshould stretch me a bit)I grew out of myshyness,but not the introversion, so people still exhaust me.That's why bunnies are such great companions...

~M

M.E., hmmmmm, interesting ... veryinteresting. Like MyBunnyBoys, your personality seems toshare elements similar to mine. I thought that mypersonality/nature was an anomaly, but by your analysis may not be asuncommon as I've always assumed.

By your definition, I'm definitely introverted, but most usually interms of responsibility you'll find me in the forefront, as yousay--which I always found to be a confusing contradiction. Ilike the spotlight; I just don't like the interaction withinlarge group settings. On a personal or social level, I tendto avoid crowds--don't like movie theaters, amusement parks, sportsarenas, that type of thing. Very uncomfortable in thosesituations, although I can function. I was an excellentstudent in terms of my grades and such, but very uncomfortable whenforced to work in group assignments.

Would you mind taking a look at the site that I mentioned toMyBunnyBoys ... www.assessment.com... and giving me your opinion of it when you have a freemoment? Also, if it's not too personal of a question, whatare you majoring in? My college majors English (undergrad)and Professional Writing (graduate) were natural expressions of mynature as I'm deeply introspective and spent a lot of my younger lifereading and now at this stage immersed in media.

This has been a most delightful turn of events in this thread. Much food for thought.

Along with this, to make this topic relevant tothe topic of the thread ... :D..., in The VillageLucius was a perfect example of an introvert (albeit a shyone); dont you agree?

Absolutely. He was frustrated by everyone'sattempts to get him to "come out of his shell", having no real interestin interacting with other people. Yet he does just fineone onone with people. Good insight.

~M

m.e. wrote:
Heh.Thank you, but no. I'm a college student, actually, but I hate notknowing the answer to just about anything, so I tend to be a bitobsessive about knowledge. Ask u8myhouse - I'msuch a geek :D.My idea of fun is learning about a subject that I previously had noknowledge in.

Hmmmm. Careful there m.e. You are in danger ofbecoming a modern day Renaissance Man(Woman)! As aformer teacher, I cannot tell you how refreshing it is to meet anyone,much less a younger person, with that kind of attitude. WhenI spoke of the joy of knowing during my career, more often thannot I was subject to blank stares or derisive grimmaces from mystudents. So, so happy to learn there are still people likeyou out there.

Don't let my interjection throw this interesting thread into anotherdirecion, though. Just throwing out a compliment where Ithink it is due.

Buck

Why thank you, Buck, that is very nice of you.:)Of course, I must give credit where credit is due, andacknowledge my parents, for creating a home and learning environmentwhere their children had a drive and desire to constantly learn. I amconstantly appreciative of that, especially now that I am in college.

As far as that goes, I am currently undeclared, but am leaning towardsa major in photography. At the moment I am just enjoying taking avariety of classes.

BunnyMommy, I took the free test on that website, and my results wererather mixed. The "Interest in Job Content (those tasks you want toperform)" hit the nail right on the head. It was scary accurate:shock:. However the "Temperment for the Job" suggested I worked betterunder management, which isn't entirely true, as much prefer workingindependantly. But some of the insights further on in that sectionwere, again, remarkably accurate. And the rest of the topics were allvery reflective of me. Kind of makes you want to print it out and justgive it to people. So much easier than explaining yourself (that's anintrovert talking! hehehe)

I liked it, I thought it was very well rounded and did a good job ofpinpointing various areas of interest. Frankly, as a college student asyet undecided on a career, something like that might be nice, to figureout which job would fit my talents and personality. Thanks forthe link.

~M

That was a good movie.

Not as scary and spooky as I had hoped for, but I really enjoyed RonHoward's daughter's acting. She's very talented.

-Carolyn

Yes, I think that Dallas Bryce Howard has a longand successful acting career ahead of her. Two thumbs up...

Definitely, BunnyMommy. I didn't knowher name, but she definitely stole the show. Quite anaccomplishment when she's in the movie with William Hurt and S. Weaver.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back