O/T Small Town Living

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaspberrySwirl

Reaction score
This brought asmile to my face, so I thought I'd share. This is how I grew up, andhow my kids grew up to some extent. Perhaps there's a few of you whocanidentify withit and get a kick out of it too!:)

Raspberry

Growing up in a small town

Those who grew up in small towns will laugh when they read this. Those who didn't will be in disbelief.

1) You can name everyone you graduated with.

2) You know what 4-H means.

3) You went to parties at a pasture, barn, gravel pit, or in the middle of a dirt road.

On Monday you could always tell who was at the party because ofthe scratches on their legs from running through the woods when theparty was busted.
(See #6.) 4) You used to "drag" Main.

5) You said the "F" word and your parents knew within the hour.

6) You scheduled parties around the schedules of different police officers
because you knew which ones would bust you and which ones wouldn't.

7) You could never buy cigarettes because all the store clerksknew how old you were (and if you were old enough, they'd tell yourparents anyhow).

8) When you did find somebody old enough and brave enough tobuy cigarettes, you still had to go out into the country and drive onback roads to smoke them.

9) You knew which section of the ditch you would find the beer your buyer dropped off.

10) It was cool to date somebody from the neighboring town.

11) The whole school went to the same party after graduation.

12) You didn't give directions by street names but rather by references.
(Turn by Nelson's house,go 2 blocks to Anderson's, and it'sfour houses left of the track field.)

13) The golf course had only 9 holes.

14) You couldn't help but date a friend's ex-boyfriend/girlfriend.

15) Your car stayed filthy because of the dirt roads, and you will never own a dark vehicle for this reason.

16) The town next to you was considered "trashy" or "snooty," but was actually just like your town.

17) You referred to anyone with a house newer than 1965 as the"rich people."

18) The people in the "big city" dressed funny, and then you picked up the trend 2 years later.

19) Anyone you wanted could be found at the local gas station, drive-in or the town bar
20) You saw at least one friend a week driving a tractorthrough town or one of your friends driving a grain truck to schooloccasionally.

21) The gym teacher suggested you haul hay for the summer to get stronger.

22) Directions were given using THE stop light as a reference.

23) When you decided to walk somewhere for exercise, 5 people would pull over and ask if you wanted a ride.

24) Your teachers called you by your older siblings' names.

25) Your teachers remembered when they taught your parents.

26) You could charge at any local store or write checks without any ID.

27) The closest McDonalds was 45 miles away (or more).

28) The closest mall was over an hour away.

29) It was normal to see an old man riding through town on a riding lawn mower.

30) Most people went by a nickname.

31) You laughed your butt off reading this because you know itis true, and you forward it to everyone who may have lived in a smalltown.

hahaha! Oh this is priceless!! This brings back so many memories!!

I grew up in a town called Lang...well, its not even a town! Its moreof a village I guess... not even... there was about 60 people who livedhere... we had a little store and that was it haha.

If we wanted to do anything we had to drive to Peterborough (28kms away) :p

Thanks for posting this Raz!

That's great! I live in a town of 10 000 people (actually it should be a small city) but some of that stuff is still true!

I mean not 1 set of lights, but 6--3 on each of the 2 main roads, lol.

The gravel pit is a common party area!

My English teacher in grade 10 said he taught my mom, then said, "wait,no, your aunt" but she was really my sister (my sister is 9 yearsolder). My Social teacher asked if I was related to my brother, lol.

i used to live just outside a smallish town, andi can relate to a lot of those :D i mention stuff like thatup here in Calgary and i get the funniest looks lol

lachen.gif

Those are priceless, Raspberry, so cute. Many ofthose apply to our town here! even though i live in the country,whenever i go to a friend's house or to a football game, i rememberseeing Lyle (an elderly man with down syndrome) riding through thetowns with his brand-new lawn mower the town had bought for him. healso had a brand-ne3w wagon in which he picked up stray cans with.

ELlie

Yes, everybody either worked in the pulp mill orthe coal mine. There was only one high school. Mysister was born in the next town, because we had no hospital.What is a locked door?

Rainbows! :D

Oh Raspberry, that is Priceless. I am nowliving in a small town and so much of that is true. I live in a town of100 and we have one store/deli/gas station/pizza joint/meeting placelol. We don't even have The stop light we have The Stop Sign.

Thank you so much, I so needed a pick me up and this did it,
Tina

LOL! That's great! I loved it cause a lot of it is true! at least for me.

My town ended up growing as I grew up but it was exactly like that whenI was real young. Now, the town I live in is evenmoreso. Half of us are related in some way or another and weall end up having a parties "in the barn" a couple of times each year!

:)

The town I live inis actually more of a suburb now, but a few years back it was anabsolute farm community. We've graduated to TWO stoplights now!:)

The kids go Cow Tipping, drink beer downon the river under the bridge, the high school parking lot is borderedon two sides by wheat fields, we play cow patty bingo at our FallFestival! :pWhen I met my husband he didn't even have a housekey! :shock:

That all changed awhile back with BTK resurfacing. :X

It's really nice to livehere.We have this kind of life butStarbucks and the "other life" is only 20 minutes away!:cool:

Raspberry

Where you live sounds a lot like where Ilive. The "big town" near us was a "big field" until I wasabout 25 or 30 years old! Now it's got all thestaples in life "Walmart, Petsmart, and a Starbucks!" lol:p

Until I was robbed about 4 years ago, we left our cars unlocked, purseswere left in the cars (that's what got stolen from like 4 of us) andrarely did we lock our front doors.

My neighbors include my 2nd cousin, my sis inlaw and her hubby, herhubby's family and siblings and those who aren't related, might as wellbe. I consider them all part of my family and would doanything for them.

We all watch out for each other and our kids but yes, I pretty muchknow what my kids have been up to within the hour of their doing it!

When you wake up and find a goat in your yard, and you know exactly whoit belongs to (when there are about 5 or 6 of the same kind in theneighborhood!) and which goat it is so you can call him by name.. it'sa small town! lol

I live in a town of about 12,000, but it stillhas the small town atmosphere. We have out "town" part consisting ofWalmart and Home Depot (our two big stores), and we have a couple foodmarts and your radom splash or stores. Then you have the rest of thecity that is made up of ranches, woods, fields, and little resorts onthe lake. :)

~Nichole

HAAHAHAHAHAHA, this is all still happening inCamp Verde Arizona!! That is a really cute note. Gosh, it does make memiss the "good ole days".

Raspberry, funny you should post thisnow. I just moved from a huge metropolitan city to a smalltown ... and I love it! I've always loved the sense ofcommunity that small towns have. I just wish that my hubbywas here to experience it with me.

It's so nice around here. It has all of the nuances of asmall town but with the added bonus of big city facilities.It seems that the Steak 'n Shake up the street from me is theplace to go on Saturday night ... LOL! ... :)

BunnyMommy wrote:
It seems that the Steak 'n Shake up the streetfrom me is the place to go on Saturday night ... LOL!... :)
Well, I certainly hope you behave yourself and not have over one milkshake! :shock:;)

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
Growing up in a smalltown

Those who grew up in small towns will laugh when they read this. Those who didn't will be in disbelief.

1) You can name everyone you graduated with.
For the most part I can. :) There were like 70 people I graduated with. :D
2) You know what 4-H means.
I didn't know there were people that didn't know what 4-H ment.. hmmm
3) You went to parties at a pasture, barn, gravel pit, or in the middle of a dirt road.
These are the only kind of parties I go to! Pasture and barn parties are the best!
On Monday you could always tell who was at the party because of thescratches on their legs from running through the woods when the partywas busted.
(See #6.) 4) You used to "drag" Main.
I've never been to a party withalochol so I wouldn'tknow but yes yacould tell!

5) You said the "F" word and your parents knew within the hour.
Ohhhh.. sooootrue!Thetechnology ofcell phones don'thelp!

6) You scheduled parties around the schedules of different police officers
because you knew which ones would bust you and which ones wouldn't.
Yep!I knowthe schedule for the policedepartment in thetown nextdoor(3miles).. My town doesn't have apolice department, fire department,grocerystore,post office,bank etc. All we have are houseswith3 small churches and abeer carry out. Funnythingis the town has3churches but none ofthe 90 people in town attend any of these churches.

7) You could never buy cigarettes because all the store clerks knew howold you were (and if you were old enough, they'd tell your parentsanyhow).
So true!

8) When you did find somebody old enough and brave enough to buycigarettes, you still had to go out into the country and drive on backroads to smoke them.
I know people who do this as I don't smoke. ;)

9) You knew which section of the ditch you would find the beer your buyer dropped off.
I have no clue on this oneas I'm a non- beer drinker. :D

10) It was cool to date somebody from the neighboring town.
Ohh yeah!

11) The whole school went to the same party after graduation.
Just about :)
12) You didn't give directions by street names but rather by references.
(Turn by Nelson's house,go 2 blocks to Anderson's, and it's four housesleft of the track field.)
I get lost with road names! I can't useroad names worthapoop! I go stricklyby landmarks and yeah, we usepeople'shouses or ex houses as land marks.

13) The golf course had only 9 holes.
We've actually got an 18 holegolf course!

14) You couldn't help but date a friend's ex-boyfriend/girlfriend.
Right, cause there aren't many 'good guys' tochoose from!

15) Your car stayed filthy because of the dirt roads, and you will never own a dark vehicle for this reason.
I don't have dirt roads but salt in the wintersure is nastybutya get thateverywhere.Onlydirtroads I go down aredriveways.

16) The town next to you was considered "trashy" or "snooty," but was actually just like your town.
Oh so true! The nexttown are truely snotty and I'mnotjoking LOL! The town about 20 miles downaway tryto be hicks but are FAR from it!

17) You referred to anyone with a house newer than 1965 as the"rich people."
Yeah!
18) The people in the "big city" dressed funny, and then you picked up the trend 2 years later.
I don't know if we ever pick up the 'big city' trends.
19) Anyone you wanted could be found at the local gas station, drive-in or the town bar
Correct! Half the time I meet my family at gas stations and even atthe town country bar. I haven't been to our drive in in years tho!
20) You saw at least one friend a week driving a tractor through townor one of your friends driving a grain truck to school occasionally.
Yup the farmguys thought it was cool to ride atractorto school. Oneguy woulddrive histractor to school every day that we weren't supposed to have badweather!

21) The gym teacher suggested you haul hay for the summer to get stronger.
My gym teacher didn't care ifwe were strong LOL!

22) Directions were given using THE stop light as a reference.
It's more like 'THE' stop sign...;)

23) When you decided to walk somewhere for exercise, 5 people would pull over and ask if you wanted a ride.
Correct! Can't someone walk down the country road in peace?
24) Your teachers called you by your older siblings' names.
It was more like my cousin's names.
25) Your teachers remembered when they taught your parents.
Yup, I've got a few of those! I've also got a 4-H advisor who was my mom's 4th grade teacher. :p
26) You could charge at any local store or write checks without any ID.
Yup, until they get new employees
27) The closest McDonalds was 45 miles away (or more).
Well,more like 20 miles but if you want something besides McDonalds,Wendy's, Burger King, Pondorsa, Bob Evans, Taco Bell, or a family ranrestruant ya gotta travel about 50 miles.
28) The closest mall was over an hour away.
Yep! The mall anhour away only has 15 stores and you can stand in the middle of themall and see all the stores. Its more like an hour half to 2 hours foryou to get to a REAL mall!
29) It was normal to see an old man riding through town on a riding lawn mower.
Yep! We got one of those guys that the town donated alawn mower to and the hardware company donated a trailer for him.
30) Most people went by a nickname.
Yep, Moe & Bo arethe only nicknames used around here and they refer to a lot of people.
31) You laughed your butt off reading this because you know it istrue, and you forward it to everyone who may have lived in a smalltown.
:D

32) and you loved listening to John Coogar Mellencamp's song, "Small Town".

:)

Cute one, Raspberry.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back