o/t kids

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygrl2k3

Reaction score
My kids are driving me crazy. So todayI thought i would take them to the park to play. They have aprogram that is free and you can drop your kids off to play from 9 amto 5 pm. Of course I wouldnt leave my kids thatlong.

I think my kids need to get away from the house and Tyler needs someroutine besides of being here with me. He has been out ofcontrol lately. He really needs school and this is far fromschool but it would give him something to look forward to besides beinghome.. Plus I could go shopping without kids or clean or maybe just layin the pool. The downside is that as mostof you know that Tyler is special needs and I would worry about him.. Idont think I would take him without William but it's not fair forWilliam to be always looking out for him.. While i was there i seensome rough housing of some of the big kids chasing the little kids andthen some rough housing between the little kids. One boy gothurt three times where he cried but all by the little kids.Tyler got pushed and I think Tyler can hold his own but sometimes Tylerappears rude cause its easier for him to say move then excuseme. They have supervison. I think i seen about 4 or5 adults but I wonder if thats enough. Right nowtheres lots of screaming. We had plans to go to the pool but Tyler felland is screaming he dont want to go to the pool and William is madcause he wants to. Plus yesterday Tyler jumped intothe 5 ft of water thinking i was going to catch him and scraped hisback.

What do you guys think? Think i should take them and see whathappens. William really wants to go. I can takeWilliam without Tyler but I think Tyler might have fun there too and ireally need a break at times. I workpart timebut thats just not enough.

Cristy

I can certainly relate to these "summer blues"with the kids. The older kids have wheels, so aren't heremuch -- but that does leave Matthew home and bored while I'm on a majorcleaning kick. He's been helping me clean and has also beenplaying in the little wading pool while I'm cleaning.

He loves daycamp, so is signed up for 4 weeks of camp starting nextweek. Two weeks of art camp and 2 weeks of swimming.

If you are not comfortable with a program -- trust your instincts andlook for something else. A smaller, better supervised programmay be better, or how about hiring a "mom's helper" to play games withthe kids during the day? Also try the library -- many havesummer programs or advertise local summer programs for kids.

You do need a break -- can you find another parent in the area so you can trade off?

Pam

I think it's worth a shot.

The first couple of times there, I'd hang back somewhere and watch to see how things go.

If a special needs program/setting would be better, your school district should be able to help you find something.

I can understand the need for a breakfrom the kids. Jeremy is also special needs and most timesthan not here's here all day because no one wants to take him, too muchof a risk. I found some awesome day camps the local college had. He wasgone for 4 hours 3 days a week for 3 weeks. It gave me a break and himtoo and he loved it.

Maybe you can find something like that in your area. Can youcontact an association for his disorder? I contacted the EFA and AHLAand found out that they sponsored camps for children in my area. Jeremywas able to spend time with other children that had some of the sameproblems.

I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the boys there if there arechildren harrassing other children if it was me. I hope you are able tofind a solution that works for all of you. I wish there was something Icould do to help. I really understand how you are feeling.

Tina

After some thinking I decided to just give it atry. I took them both there today and Tyler took off for theplayground so fast and didnt seem fazed that I was leaving.It hasnt even been two hours yet but i will go get them soon.I am not looking for a all day thing just a break here andthere.
What helped me decide to go for it is that Tyler is very socialble andhas never had a problem with getting picked on. He has lots of friendsin school, and he used his words his signs and his gestures to get hispoint accross. Tyler looks normal so he don't standout. He spent his last year in a normal pre schoolclass and kindergarten will be a normal class and he will be riding thereg bus. I may follow it but he will ride it and isexcited.

Cristy

Latest posts

Back