Nymh's Nomming issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariusshadow

Reaction score
Nymh is my 2 year old Jersey Woolly buck. He seems to be having some issues chewing. I've tranced him to look at his front teeth. They look okay to me. But his back teeth are a mystery to me. I've observed behaviors with his chewing such as:

*Head tilting up (like a howling coyote) while chewing

*Taking one bite of something, not even cutting it completely through, and leaving it.

*Grinding on a piece of hay with his front teeth, barely getting through it.

*Holding his mouth open for a second with a veggie in it before going back to chewing.

I'm wondering if there's a household way to look at his back teeth, as I'm still paying off Jasper's vet bill. Baring in mind, he's a bit of a nipper, he doesn't make looking at ANYTHING easy. :rollseyes But if there's a way to do this without driving us both to the doctor, I will certainly try.
I'm hoping to just see if there's food stuck somewhere, or something easy and not to require a vet. Obviously, if I see nothing I can use a home remedy on, a vet visit will have to be arranged.

I feel bad for you because there is no way that you can check this yourself. I had a bun with very bad molars and you are describing a bun with dental issues. :(

Is it possible that you can work out a method of payment with your vet so that you won't need to pay the bill all at once. ?

My bun needed to see an animal dentist and often times his molars were growing into his gums which would be really painful.

i understand why u wanna try and look on ur own but even some vets have a hard time seeing back teeth..if that gives u an idea of how hard it would be..

My parents have the Care Credit Card, which is how I paid for Jasper, my Flemmie mix's, vet bill. But I've been reminded by my parents on a constant basis that this is for emergencies only. My parents do NOT see rabbits as a 'vet pet'. I'm worried they will not understand that the chewing problems could be as severe or life-threatening, or painful, as they are. I'll have to work my daddy's-little-princess-magic to get Nymh into the vet's office. :/ Thanks for the input, though, everyone. :) It's appreciated.

if its the teeth and it sounds like it is...ur bunny will stop eating altogether ..and starve to death..could u imagine having food right in front of you and not being able to get it in ur mouth to eat it...weve all had hunger pains before...but have we ever gone days without food...?.thats a really sad inhumane way to die..if thats not cause for emergency i dont know what is...good luck with ur parents.i hope they will do whats right for ur family member.

I have put my finger in the mouth to check for really sharp points on the back teeth. It hurts because they will try to bite you, and if there are sharp points, I would assume you'd get cut. Best to have a vet check them out as it does sound like a serious dental issue.

Latest posts

Back