Nuts and dried fruit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiaraPatricia

Reaction score
My doe is nursing 6 babies (3 weeks old) and she's getting a bit skinny. So I am actually trying to get her to gain weight :) She has unlimited dry food, lots of veggies, unlimited hay, lots of fresh grass and greens.

I'm going to give her sunflower seeds too and oats, after other people here recommended them, but thought I'd ask here about other foods. I read online that peanuts are ok to give them (non roasted salted of course), as well as raisins and other dried fruit, and hazelnuts. Just cos I have some in the cupboard I thought I'd try them, but wanted to check here first to see if anyone knows if they're safe. I know raisins can kill dogs, so was a bit worried about that!

I really think she needs more fat and protein right now. Though the babies are eating away fine, she feeds them a lot. Like whenever they want to feed, she lets them!

Or does anyone know any other ways to get her to gain weight? She is out in a run with her babies now so hopefully she will gain muscle too.

Dried fruits make a great treat, but I wouldn't give her too many to help her gain weight. They're extremely high in sugar and can cause digestive upset, which is the last thing you need.

I have heard many contrasting comments about whether rabbits can have nuts, seeds etc.
I myself do not feed them, due to the fact that I know they are high in fat and carbs, and I am not 100% positive rabbits can or should have them.

Here is an extract written by Dianna Krempels Ph.D from this website http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html. I know that says 'Hare Diet' but that is just the name of her organisation :D.

Remember: a rabbit is a lagomorph, not a rodent or a primate. The rabbit digestive tract is physiologically more similar to that of a horse than to that of a rodent or primate, and the intestine and related organs can suffer from an overindulgence in starchy, fatty foods.

NEVER feed your rabbit commercial "gourmet" or "treat" mixes filled with dried fruit, nuts and seeds. These may be safe for a bird or hamster--BUT THEY ARE NOT PROPER FOOD FOR A RABBIT. The sole function of "rabbit gourmet treats" is to lighten your wallet. If the manufacturers of "gourmet rabbit treats" truly cared about your rabbit's health and longevity, they would not market such products.

Don't feed your rabbit cookies, crackers, nuts, seeds, breakfast cereals (including oatmeal) or "high fiber" cereals. They may be high fiber for you, but not for your herbivorous rabbit, who's far better able to completely digest celluose ("dietary fiber") than you are. Fed to a rabbit, the high fat and simple carbohydrate content of "naughty foods" may contribute to fatty liver disease, cecal dysbiosis, obesity, and otherwise cause health problems.

I personally think there are plenty of other 'treats' out there that aren't so high in fat as nuts, which can cause so many unwanted conditions and health problems if they are given as the regular 'treat'. I would opt for a tasty chunk of apple or a lovely leaf of Pak choy- your rabbits will probably prefer this anyway!!! Nuts, dried fruits and seeds look lovely and appetising and colourful to us, but buns would just prefer to have a crunchy, crisp piece of their favourite fresh fruit or vegetable, in my humble opinion.

IF nuts are completely safe etc. (I am not sure they are, so please no-one quote me on that), then they should be the ultimate treat of all treats ie. as in literally given no more than once a month. One nut is tiny to us, but to a rabbit, a nut is quite big.
My rabbits absolutely adore rolled oats with a passion. I honestly think it is their favourite thing to eat. Perhaps this is because they get it so rarely? Because I know they love it so much, I give them a pinch or two no more than once a month, but often not even that. I often give them in my hand, so they don't lose any of them, but mostly because it just absolutely adorable for them to scoff them out my hand, and then lick my hand desperately to get the remains off LOL. It's so so adorable.

Jen

I would use oats and pellets to fatten her up. Nuts can be too much protein and frutis can have too much sugar. Fruit is fine as a treat, but I wouldn't give nuts huch. You can give some sunflower seeds, but I wouldn't do more than a teaspoon a day. You could also add alfalfa hay to her cage to help her fatten up.

Latest posts

Back