Nursing doe is currently showing nesting behavior after rebreeding. Is it okay for the current litter to stay in the same pen?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookiesncream

Reaction score
My holland lop is currently on her second pregnancy. She gave birth to 2 kits on 6th May (1 didn't make it), and I rebreed her on 6th June (was this too soon?).

Currently the first kit is healthy and well, but I'm worried that the doe is showing nesting behavior again 2 weeks prior to her next due date now. Is it safe to keep the first kit until like 30th June or close to her due date? Or should I separate before? The first kit is eating well and I occasionally find him still suckling time to time (only rarely recently)

Here's both of them btw lol
6kmjlh.gif

Mama is fine being bred a month later, that's around the same time she would get pregnant again in the wild. As long as she is fit, healthy, is a good weight, and nourished well.
It is common for a people to leave pregnant does with their older litter until she gives birth. If she starts getting aggressive with her current kits remove them. If you are worried about problems, I recommend taking the older kits out a day or two before mom kindles her second litter.

Most the people I know that rebreed after 1 month wean them at 6 weeks. Not only can the doe start to get aggressive with the old babies as she starts to nest, but also that gives her a bit of a chance to rest and build back body condition before she gives birth to the new litter. The babies would be perfectly fine being weaned at this age (almost 7 weeks in your case).

Most the people I know that rebreed after 1 month wean them at 6 weeks. Not only can the doe start to get aggressive with the old babies as she starts to nest, but also that gives her a bit of a chance to rest and build back body condition before she gives birth to the new litter. The babies would be perfectly fine being weaned at this age (almost 7 weeks in your case).
I see... So it should be fine to wean the kit next week then. It's just sad to think of them being separated. They always look cute and lovely together. Is it common for the mama to be aggressive when nesting? What signs should I watch for??

Mama is fine being bred a month later, that's around the same time she would get pregnant again in the wild. As long as she is fit, healthy, is a good weight, and nourished well.
It is common for a people to leave pregnant does with their older litter until she gives birth. If she starts getting aggressive with her current kits remove them. If you are worried about problems, I recommend taking the older kits out a day or two before mom kindles her second litter.
Just curious but will it be okay to let the first litter stay after the mama give birth to another litter? What could happen then?

Is the kit still nursing off of her or is it weaned? The older kit continuing to nurse, would be the main issue leaving it with mom when the new litter is born. You don't want an older kit hogging the milk and depriving the new kits.

Is the kit still nursing off of her or is it weaned? The older kit continuing to nurse, would be the main issue leaving it with mom when the new litter is born. You don't want an older kit hogging the milk and depriving the new kits.

The big kit is still nursing, though only rarely since last week. Usually I saw the fur ball suckling 2-3 times a day, but since last week I only notice 1 or not at all (perhaps at midnight or dawn, hence didn't see).

I think it's only rarely since last week. He's big now, almost half the size of the mama. I think it's because he's the only kit surviving in the litter

Since he's a buck, they would have to be separated in a few weeks before he becomes hormonal anyways, so best to just separate and wean him before the new babies arrive. If it was a little doe and she was completely weaned, and she and mom got along really well with no aggression or hormonal issues, then maybe they could stay together after the kits were born if the older kit didn't risk hurting the newborn kits. But being a buck, I would just wean and separate.

Since he's a buck, they would have to be separated in a few weeks before he becomes hormonal anyways, so best to just separate and wean him before the new babies arrive. If it was a little doe and she was completely weaned, and she and mom got along really well with no aggression or hormonal issues, then maybe they could stay together after the kits were born if the older kit didn't risk hurting the newborn kits. But being a buck, I would just wean and separate.
Update: The Mama just showed mounting behavior and chasing her kit around. I've separated them from now. But should I be worried since the kit is only 6 weeks old by now? How can I make sure he's weaned properly?

6 weeks is old enough. Just a clear cut is perfectly fine, gradual weaning is not necessary, it wouldn't even be necessarily good for the doe. In a pinch that could be done at 4 weeks.

Actually, I have 2 does in one hutch, with a 6monts old doeling (which doesn't effect the social stuff much), a litter of 6 that is 9 weeks now, and a 4 week old litter from the other doe. It worked fine, the doe made clear that the new nest is a No Go zone for the older litter. Didn't see humping, but the older kits got effectivly shooed away from the nestbox. No problem whatsoever. I had issues when the age difference was smaller, the older kits trampling the new nest and raiding the milk buffet, but those 5 weeks were enough to establish social rules quickly. Can't tell if it were the same if both litters were from the same doe.
Imo that works for me because of my setup, 3 hutches connected and out in the garden during daytime.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back