Nummy has a kidney stone and it will likely take his life.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LakeCondo, would it be alright if you could post the link that you found about the research on the high acid fruits could dissolve calcium oxalate crystals? Sounds very interesting.

It's on page 113 of Rabbit Nutrition and Natural Healing by Lucile Moore. The references are at the end of each chapter & I couldn't see which one were for this statement. Anyway, they're all so technical it'd take a biologist or chemist to understand them.

The citrates usually are pills. I wonder how they could be crushed up. You might get them in small pieces using his nail clippers & slipping them in something. I think they need acid to dissolve, so you can't dissolve them in water. Maybe they come in chewable or liquid. If they're capsules, you can open them up & use a little at a time.

I assume any acid food would work. Lemons only advantage is not having much sugar. lol A little orange or lemon juice in with the banana water would be good. Actually, it sounds like the start of a good smoothie.

EDIT Go to vitacost.com & enter potassium citrate. The choices include those with magnesium & one is a liquid, raspberry flavored. Among the capsules, look for those that list gelatin as this will be the kind you can open & sprinkle out what you need. Some of the ones called capsules are just capsule shaped. Vitacost has lots of other goodies as well. I like some of the dried fruit [for me].

Hello all!

Just thought I would let everyone know how Nummy is doing. He is doing well, eating and drinking on his own since the last time I posted. He is really addicted to his pumpkin and I have made it a steady part of his diet. He looks forward to having it every day! :biggrin: I mentioned before in another post that Nummy had a fatty tumor on his stomach. Well it turns out it is not a fatty tumor but it is a rather large abscess. I found out what it was because it has burst on it's own and is oozing white puss. It has decreased in size since it has burst, but I only noticed that it was burst open today after I had made him a new and improved crate, when I picked him up I noticed his lump was crusty and when I turned him over to check it out was when I saw this huge scab and a rather angry looking lump. So I have to wait till Monday to get in touch with the vet in regards to that. In the meantime I did a warm compress on the site for an hour our so to help the drainage along as well as clean him up a bit. He did well with it all and still ate a carrot while I held a cloth to him. Again I won't be doing a surgery on him but I will look into my options as it regards this issue. Poor little guy has got it all. At least he is in good hands, and now that I know that it is going off I will keep an eye on it and keep it clean and check with the vet on Monday. Other than all this, he seems in good spirits and is continuing to eat, drink and be merry :D. I am happy that he is doing well as it regards his bladder and kidney stones. Just hope this abscess wont be too much of a problem. I hope keeping it draining will help him out. I will keep you all posted on his progress.

I was just thinking about Nummy this morning.

Try using warm chamomile tea for the compresses.
It's got good antiseptic/antimicrobial properties.

:pray:

Thank-you JimD for the suggestion on the chamomile tea compress. I did it for Nummy today. Today his abscess looked a little less angry, but it still is pretty gruesome. I had my mom help me to clean up some of the dried up pus that was around his scab, and we did a nice long compress and cleaning for about an hour. Nummy was pretty good about it but it does seem that it is causing him some pain. He is still eating though and for the most part is acting pretty normal. I will be contacting the vet tomorrow to talk about this problem. I was reading about Bicillin injections which supposedly eradicates abscesses completely without surgery I will be asking about that treatment option. http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/o/morfz/pdf/bicillin.pdf this is the link from the site where I got the info on the injections. Has anyone tried this for their rabbit? I will keep you all updated on the prognosis.

I have done bicillin injections for two rabbits with abscesses and had success - the abscesses cleared up and never recurred. However, it is important to follow the protocol; I gave the sub-Q injections every day for three days and then every other day for 6 weeks. If the number of sub-Q injecitons is reduced it does not always work. I would print out the protocol by Marcy Moore and take it to your vet.

Re the issue of fluids; rabbits need about 100ml (cc) of fluid per 2.2 pounds of rabbit every day just for maintenance. I would definitely think Nummy could benefit from sub-Q fluids and they might possibly help him pass the stone.

Orange would not substitute for lemon - lemon is more acidic than orange.

I wish you every success with Nummy - I know how it is to nurse rabbits through serious illnesses and final illnesses and I repect you greatly for doing it. It is the greatest gift of love you can give.

Update!

Took Nummy to the vet yesterday, and they took a needle biopsy of the abscess. I hope it will come back with some result but the vet said there was no guarentee on that. They would not do the bicillin for him unfortunately but did give him a injection of baytril for the time being until his meds come in. They also picked off the scab that was on him, and cleaned it out and gave him some derma gel for the wound. The hole is closing fast though. At least the area looks better and a lot smaller than it was. I hope he will get better soon.

Like Lake said, it is clearing up. Hopefully its gone in no time. Hoping also you get good news from the Vet regarding the biopsy. Please keep us informed.

Wishing all the luck for Nummy!

K:)

Thank-you MrBunny! :biggrin: He is something else that's for sure! The results came back for Nummy's test and they said it only showed inflammation and that is it. At least he is cancer free and whatever else. I am going to grab him his meds tonight and hope that it will help clear up the rest of the problem. The site is a lot smaller now and it looks much better. He is doing good and is still eating and drinking and all that good stuff. He is however peeing outside of his litter box a lot and I don't know why. Maybe he just needs a change lol! I will continue to update as we go along.

Nummy is one of the prettiest rabbits I have ever seeeeeen! :inlove: Oh my gosh!

I am sorry to hear about all his health issues but I am very happy to hear he is doing so well! I will send prayers your way and hope for the best!
:hug2:

So glad to hear Nummy is cancer free! Such good news.

Hoping the meds clear it all up. So glad to hear he's eating and drinking. And regarding missing the litter box, I know my boys do once in a while. They forget and hang their butts over the side of the litter box. Hey they are in it. I can't complain because 99% of the time, they are on target.

K :)

Latest posts

Back