Not using litterbox - help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anisthelop

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a bunny who recently started pooping and peeing outside her litter box. She's never done this before and as much as I clean it and place the poop/paper towels with pee in the litter box, she refuses to use it. I've attached a picture for reference: the litter box is inside a drawer that has an opening on the side (her hay is there as well), and she now poops and pees outside on the floor.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• E05384FD-C93F-4C38-B704-5991F2F37E05.JPG
    E05384FD-C93F-4C38-B704-5991F2F37E05.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 7
How old is she? Is she spayed? Did anything around the house change that might have upset her or have you changed anything about her litter box set up such as new pellets, different hay, cleaned with different supplies…

She’s about 1.5 years – and nothing has really changed – eating normally, poop size/amount same as before. She’s not spayed.

Spaying will likely fix the issue completely. Though it may not, spaying a female rabbit is highly recommended for multiple health and behavioral reasons. 60% of female rabbits over 3 years get uterine cancer. Rising to 80% at the age of 6 years.

Or it may be a medical issue, so I would have your vet take a look at her anyway even if you aren’t planning on spaying her.

Add a litter box in front of the cabinet where she toilets.

Agreed.

Rabbits like to choose their own bathroom areas, and sometimes they change locations for reasons unbeknownst to us humans.

Also: maybe she doesn't like being "trapped" in a box while eliminating. As prey animals, they tend to want multiple excape routes at all times.

Our 9 year old Holland Lop, Oliver, has become incontinent. The vet has checked him for a UTI. The vet also also thinks he has arthritis in his back end making it difficult to get in and out of the box. With that said, his amorous advances towards his spayed g/f (he is neutered) have not lessened. He's very active. I see him easily get him in and out of the box. He does not use it at all. He pees randomly all over the cage and poops everywhere. I have human washable incontinence pads and disposable puppy pads in his pen to try to keep the floor dry. He is on daily pain meds for the arthritis but his potty habits remain the same. Has anyone had this situation? What did you do? What can be done? Thoughts?? TY

Our 9 year old Holland Lop, Oliver, has become incontinent. The vet has checked him for a UTI. The vet also also thinks he has arthritis in his back end making it difficult to get in and out of the box. With that said, his amorous advances towards his spayed g/f (he is neutered) have not lessened. He's very active. I see him easily get him in and out of the box. He does not use it at all. He pees randomly all over the cage and poops everywhere. I have human washable incontinence pads and disposable puppy pads in his pen to try to keep the floor dry. He is on daily pain meds for the arthritis but his potty habits remain the same. Has anyone had this situation? What did you do? What can be done? Thoughts?? TY
I would want blood tests for kidney function and EC.

Latest posts

Back