Not sure where to post this question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willa

Reaction score
I got 2 rabbits in november. They were suppose to both be boys. Then my first vet visit said that one was most definitely a female, the other was to young for that vet to be certain. The rabbit vet had an emergency that day. I was told to come back a month later that way if it was a boy his bits would have a chance to drop or develop or whatever. in any case a month later i bring them both back and the rabbit vet was in, she also use to raise and show rabbits so I was much more comfortable seeing her. She told me they were both definitely females. Ok great, I set up a time to get them fixed. that was 2 months ago and they had to cancel it, the appointment was rescheduled for 2 weeks ago. My state got put on lock down like so many others and i had to cancel the procedure I take care of my mother in law so i can't risk exposure. .

So my question is how do i know when they have reached sexual maturity? They are humping each other but does that necessarily equate to sexual maturity?

They need to be separated because they may fight. They will reach maturity anywhere from 3-6 months. They will start marking territory (spraying pee and/or scattering poops around) and being more aggressive when they hit maturity.

Hi, if you got them in November they were probably 2 months old so now they are about 4-4,5 months, so they are already sexually mature.

You can try to sex them without going to vets, I don't know what breed are they but by 4 months if they are boys their testicles should be visible and generally it should be easier to see difference between male and female so you can try please see pics for reference

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/sexing-rabbit-pictures.44936/
If they are both female they could possibly still stay together and sort out their hierarchy by humping and little fur flying, but if they are both male they should be separated as males will fight for dominance and it can end up with blood so don't risk it. If they are male and female then it is possible that female is already pregnant.

Generally if two females hump each other but are not aggressive they can be bonded even without fixing, but sometimes it's not easy, so first you just have to find out if they are male or female or both.

That's why i've been wondering. They have their own room been together from day one. The plan was to have them fixed before maturing hopefully to keep the false bond in tact. That said even with the humping and poop scattering they really don't seem to be fighting so I am wondering if i have lucked out or if they simply have not matured yet. I still plan to get the girls fixed for their own good. This lock down has messed the plans up though lots are far more affected than i am though. I've only noticed the humpin the past 2 weeks but still they stay cuddled and lounging next to eachother all the time.

The vet told me that in all her years raising and showing rabbits she has rarely had to worry about her females fighting the same way she had to worry about the boys. Still though I have read other peoples horror stories.

On a side note has anyone started a foraging for our bunnies thread yet?

Maybe you are lucky so, just double check if they are both female, they are still young and with males it all also starts with humping, then it can escalate you don't want it, and you don't want more babies if they are male and female.

I have 3 young girls they are 7 months old now, two are sisters and the third is with them since they were 3 months old, they have a conversation every now and then but still no fights, there I've seen some fur when they were 4-5 months but now they are kinda tolerate each other. Sisters are closer to each other but the third girl is very good and they also groom her and she grooms them too.

Last edited:
G'morning everybunny

It did turn out they were/are both females sorry that I wasn't clearer in my initial post and yes they were 2 months old when I brought them home (at least that's what i was told). If thats the case then they would both be at least 6 months old. They are female holland lops.

I got 2 rabbits in november. They were suppose to both be boys. Then my first vet visit said that one was most definitely a female, the other was to young for that vet to be certain. The rabbit vet had an emergency that day. I was told to come back a month later that way if it was a boy his bits would have a chance to drop or develop or whatever. in any case a month later i bring them both back and the rabbit vet was in, she also use to raise and show rabbits so I was much more comfortable seeing her. She told me they were both definitely females. Ok great, I set up a time to get them fixed. that was 2 months ago and they had to cancel it, the appointment was rescheduled for 2 weeks ago. My state got put on lock down like so many others and i had to cancel the procedure I take care of my mother in law so i can't risk exposure. .

So my question is how do i know when they have reached sexual maturity? They are humping each other but does that necessarily equate to sexual maturity?

If your bunnies are mounting, they may be able to get pregnant. I have also seen 2 girls and 2 boys do same for dominance. Turn bunny over and gently pull skin down around genital organ. A girl will have a little slit and a boy with have a tiny penis poke up. A bunny's testicles are moon shaped and on the sides, not under the penis like dog, cat, etc. You can sex your bunny yourself by retracting the skin. Does can get pregnant young.

Latest posts

Back