Not pooping or eating much!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnySilver

Bella - Owned by Silver
Reaction score
Please help me as I have never had any problems with Silver and he is my baby bunny who I care oh so deeply about.

I took Silver, my 10 month old Netherland Dwarf over to my dad's apartment for the second time as my parents do not live together and I am only a teenager. He was perfectly fine the first time getting comfortable very quick. He has seemed VERY comfortable today as he flopped down about 4 times and was loafing and he usually doesn't flop down too casually and hadn't here before. He was also running around a lot and binkying. And being his usual very active self.

When we first arrived, I scattered some veggies around his room that he had stayed in before. He ate them all fairly quick, but only left about 5 poops afterward. I tried not I worry. He kept eating hay, but even after all his hay eating, he didn't leave any poops.

I gave him some pellets before I left on a walk. He loves his pellets and hadn't had any that day. But when. I returned an hour later, they were untouched sitting where I had put them and only 2 poops were on the floor and I found him sitting under the bed. We have been here for almost 5 hours. He is running around and binkying right now, but I just worry because I know how dangerous GI stasis can be.

Thank you
:worried: 😣

How is he doing now? He may just be nervous as he's adjusting to the change in environment. If he doesn't eat, drink, & poop by the morning then I would suggest calling your vet. Just give him some time but if he has a change in behavior, acts lethargic, or has stopped eating then call the vet :) Do you have critical care? If he's not eating you can syringe him that until you get him to the vet.

Well, if he's running around and binkying, he is not in full stasis- he's probably fine. He may be adjusting to his different surroundings. What kind of veg are you giving him? Does he drink water well? My bun is not a good water drinker and has issues with small poops at times. Also, certain veggies and fruit can cause problems including gas. Also some rabbits don't poop much during the day and then do it all at once at night. Or vice versa. It's good he is eating and moving! When my rabbit had stasis, she just sat in one spot, and didn't even go for her cilantro/kale which is a big sign of something amiss for her. Does he use a box? Make sure his box is always with him... Dimi sees her box (with litter and hay) as her "home" base. Also, Dimi starts to slow down on poops when she is doing a big shedding, which for her usually happens this time of year. I brush her as much as I can, and feed her a teaspoon of 100% canned pumpkin (unsweetened, and without cinammon- NOT Pumpkin Pie filling!!), which I've read can help move hair through the digestive system. Water is important too... some rabbits like the hanging bottles, some don't. Dimi prefers a bowl, but still doesn't drink enough, IMO.

If he's still behaving fairly normal, and is still pooping and eating some, I would suggest cutting his food back to only unlimited grass hay and veggies for the next bit. If he will eat the stalky bits of hay, try and select as many stalky bits as you can to put in his hay pile. The stalkier bits of hay have more indigestible fiber which helps increase GI motility. With the veggies, stick to his leafy veggies and avoid starchy ones. And hold off on pellets and any sugary starchy treats until his eating and poop seems back to normal. And make sure he is drinking well.

Thank you everyone for all the helpful replies and information for future worries! He is also molting for the first time that I have noticed since having him. I have been brushing him everyday along with plucking him lightly to get off as much loose fur as possible. When I get home tomorrow I will try the pumpkin thing since we usually have some around.

I took most of the pellets out of his carrier. And when I walked into the room a few minutes ago, there was a good amount of poops by his littler box! He has lots of hay and I just gave him his usual cup of the veggies he had been getting each night for at least a month. Lettuces, parsley, cilantro, basil, mint, and oregano with a little sprig of dill. I'm thinking that he was probably having some adjustment issues for whatever reason today. Hoping for lots of poops in the morning. I will update if not. Thanks again!

Last edited:
It sounds like he's going to be alright, but good work on noticing his changed "output". :)

Well, pretty good news this morning. I woke up to find some more poops, about as many as I had seen last night. I took him back to my house this morning and gave him his usual morning pellets because he was eating lots of hay and was very active. He's eating his pellets but still is not popping much. I will try the pumpkin thing to see if it helps any.

Latest posts

Back