Not eating hay or greens 😳

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NotaCocoaPuff

Reaction score
So my newest addition Fiona, is a small albino rabbit who seems quite content to stay in her space although she is free roam. She was bonded with Farrah who passed away recently although I would not say they were super close. Farrah tended to stay under our bed most of the day while Fiona liked to stay in her rabbit area. They would come together and snuggle and groom each other at meal times.
Farrah had a healthy appetite it was a little bit more dominant so it was hard for me to tell how much each bunny was eating. I basically just made sure both rabbits maintained a good weight. That being said now that Farrah is no longer with us I’ve noticed that Fiona is not eating hay and does not seem too keen on eating greens either. I believe she was eating hay before but I’m not totally certain. She is a little timid on eating in front of her human companions. She is eating though, she loves her Timothy pellets and she also gets bits of broccoli, small pieces of carrot, herbs, carrot and radish tops, etc. i’ve tried different lettuce mixes such, kale baby, basically any organic salad mix that you can get. She will eat a few pieces but not a full cup.
Should I be worried that she’s not eating hay? I thought about trying Oat hay to see if maybe that might interest her

Although I am not a bunny expert It is probably because of Farrah passing away. even though they were not close companinons, it still would be stressful for a bunny. any change stresses out a bunny which can lead to not eating food, or eating little food. I would not worry much if it has not been long that she has not been eating alot. I am sure she will adjust. if she keeps not eating hay I would be worried, and If I were you I would contact a special small animal vet. Can you tell me what hay she is eating?

Although I am not a bunny expert It is probably because of Farrah passing away. even though they were not close companinons, it still would be stressful for a bunny. any change stresses out a bunny which can lead to not eating food, or eating little food. I would not worry much if it has not been long that she has not been eating alot. I am sure she will adjust. if she keeps not eating hay I would be worried, and If I were you I would contact a special small animal vet. Can you tell me what hay she is eating?

Timothy hay, the good stuff

A few possible reasons why a rabbit won't eat hay when they will eat their other food normally, is something is wrong with the hay like it going bad(mold), they don't like the particular hay being fed, they are filling up on their other food and aren't hungry any more for hay, or they have dental problems making it painful to eat certain foods like hay and veggies, but doesn't hurt as much to eat pellets.

Latest posts

Back