Not eating enough hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaya8a

Reaction score
Hello everyone my Holland lop is 14 weeks old today and I wanted some insight. She spends most of the day sleeping. A LOT! Lol… this seems to be normal for her since she was younger. She is a free roam bunny so her favorite spot is under my sons bed. My question is she spends such large part of the day sleeping I feel like she isn’t eating enough hay. Is it normal for rabbits to sleep so much during the day?
later in the evening she does become more active and will much on hay here and there but I’m just paranoid it’s not enough! I see other people’s rabbits eat so much hay. Just want to see what some of your experiences are. Thanks in advance!

I highly recommend sprinkling safe dried herbs in your bunny’s hay to entice her ;)

you could also stuff it into toilet paper tubes with some kind of treat in the middle. You could also offer another type of hay if you’re really concerned she’s not eating enough hay. :)

I highly recommend sprinkling safe dried herbs in your bunny’s hay to entice her ;)

you could also stuff it into toilet paper tubes with some kind of treat in the middle. You could also offer another type of hay if you’re really concerned she’s not eating enough hay. :)
I actually do sprinkle some forage herbs I bought from pet select. She goes crazy for them when she actually wants to eat! I’m just concerned about the amount of time that goes by without her eating anything because she is sleeping I guess.

Put hay where they like to sleep. They will have a nibble between naps.
Her favorite spot is under the bed, it harder for me to hang a proper hay rack under there but maybe I will try and stuff some toilet paper rolls under there with some. Maybe it having it closer by will get her to eat more of it. Thank you!

How do you currently feed hay? Is she free roam and happens to spend most of the day under your son's bed? That sounds pretty normal.

Is there a place where she has a litter box and where she gets her pellets, greens and hay? One key with hay is to be sure it is very easy to access (most hay racks make getting the hay too much of a chore which lessens the amount they eat). Placing the hay directly on top of the litter in the litter box is one option.

Another key with hay is to be sure it is refreshed at least twice per day. There is something about adding fresh hay that entices them to eat. If it has sat in the same place for 24 hours, a rabbit can be less inclined to eat it. Adding fresh hay a couple times per day to the litter box has the added advantage of ensuring that fresh and clean hay is always readily available. They like to munch on hay while they potty anyway.

To know whether bun is eating enough hay, consider the general rule of thumb: a rabbit should be eating roughly its body size in hay every day.

How do you currently feed hay? Is she free roam and happens to spend most of the day under your son's bed? That sounds pretty normal.

Is there a place where she has a litter box and where she gets her pellets, greens and hay? One key with hay is to be sure it is very easy to access (most hay racks make getting the hay too much of a chore which lessens the amount they eat). Placing the hay directly on top of the litter in the litter box is one option.

Another key with hay is to be sure it is refreshed at least twice per day. There is something about adding fresh hay that entices them to eat. If it has sat in the same place for 24 hours, a rabbit can be less inclined to eat it. Adding fresh hay a couple times per day to the litter box has the added advantage of ensuring that fresh and clean hay is always readily available. They like to munch on hay while they potty anyway.

To know whether bun is eating enough hay, consider the general rule of thumb: a rabbit should be eating roughly its body size in hay every day.
Yes, she is completely free roam in our home but has a room where she has her designated area with food, water, litter box, hay etc… she comes and goes in as she pleases. She is actually super good with her litter habits. Her hay is in a hay bag hanging above her litter box but I also place hay just in the litter box to make it easier as you suggested. I will give the refreshing twice a day idea a try. Maybe by adding more fresh hay she will be more motivated to eat it throughout the day! Thank you for the suggestion.

Hello everyone my Holland lop is 14 weeks old today and I wanted some insight. She spends most of the day sleeping. A LOT! Lol… this seems to be normal for her since she was younger. She is a free roam bunny so her favorite spot is under my sons bed. My question is she spends such large part of the day sleeping I feel like she isn’t eating enough hay. Is it normal for rabbits to sleep so much during the day?
later in the evening she does become more active and will much on hay here and there but I’m just paranoid it’s not enough! I see other people’s rabbits eat so much hay. Just want to see what some of your experiences are. Thanks in advance!

I have this fear too! My little bun is 12 weeks old and honestly compared to his brother (who my friend has) he does not eat anywhere near the same amount but still eats! At the end of the day, if your rabbit has accessed to it and knows where it is, he’ll eat it when he wants! If anything, I would suggest changing the hay, that’s what I will be trying next!

I have this fear too! My little bun is 12 weeks old and honestly compared to his brother (who my friend has) he does not eat anywhere near the same amount but still eats! At the end of the day, if your rabbit has accessed to it and knows where it is, he’ll eat it when he wants! If anything, I would suggest changing the hay, that’s what I will be trying next!
Yes! That’s how I feel as well, my rabbit does eat but no where near as much as other rabbits I feel like. What I have been doing with mine is mixing in different types of hay. I do a blend of Timothy, orchard and alfalfa. In hopes of getting her to like it more! Lol

I have a pair of hollod lops and my female sleeps all day, but my male is more active. I worried about the same thing. So to Make sure she was getting a proper diet I just gave them less pellets and more hay. She's very healthy just likes sleeping! Lol

I have a pair of hollod lops and my female sleeps all day, but my male is more active. I worried about the same thing. So to Make sure she was getting a proper diet I just gave them less pellets and more hay. She's very healthy just likes sleeping! Lol
I’m starting to think mine just likes sleeping a lot as well! Lol how much do you feed her pellet wise? The last time I weighed my rabbit she was a little over 2lbs. This was about 2 weeks ago I haven’t weighed her since. So I feed her 1/8 cup in the morning and then if I see her bowl is empty in the evening I will give her another 1/8 cup. I know they say baby rabbits should have unlimited pellets but I didn’t want to do that since she already doesn’t eat enough hay. She is 14 weeks btw.

I’m starting to think mine just likes sleeping a lot as well! Lol how much do you feed her pellet wise? The last time I weighed my rabbit she was a little over 2lbs. This was about 2 weeks ago I haven’t weighed her since. So I feed her 1/8 cup in the morning and then if I see her bowl is empty in the evening I will give her another 1/8 cup. I know they say baby rabbits should have unlimited pellets but I didn’t want to do that since she already doesn’t eat enough hay. She is 14 weeks btw.
That's about how much pellets I gave mine at that age also. As long as during her awake time she eating fine, pooping good and playing I don't think you have anything to worry about!

Latest posts

Back