Not drinking

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ek226

Reaction score
Hello, thank you for taking the time to check out my little problem.
I went to my family home for the summer on Sunday. I brought my rabbits with me.
I noticed the first day that they aren’t drinking. After about a day, one started to drink again. However, the other still will barley drink anything on his own. However, they still have quite the appetite and are eating just fine.
For context. I give them water out of bowls. He normally drinks out of a metal dog bowl. He has been to this house before and liked the water just fine, there could have been a change though, so I got some bottled water, a brand that I know he likes. However, he still isn’t readily going for it. He wont drink for the bowl unless I annoy him into drinking a little.
Its strange, it’s almost as if he doesn’t see it, but if I get some in his mouth he will drink a bit. He also drank out of his syringe today quite a bit.
This leads me to believe that it might have something to do with the bowl, and not as much the water. However I tried switching bowls to a glass smaller one and he didn’t drink out of that either. He seemed to really likely the syringe though…. His skin is bouncing back, so he is still managing to stay hydrated, but he can’t keep this up.
Any suggestions would be so very appreciated.
I’ve also already tried putting mint, apple juice, and lettuce on separate occasions into his water, they did not sway him…
I am just very confused, because he hasn’t stopped drinking after car rides before…

You say he's still eating. Normally? And what foods? Do the foods he's eating have a high moisture content, like fresh grass, forage, or veggies, or are they mostly dry foods like pellets and hay?

Could be stress from the car ride. As another poster said above me, if they are still eating leafy greens they are getting moisture from there and shouldn't be anything to big to worry about. Car rides are stressful for rabbits and it would make sense that the car ride and new area(to them it's new as it lacks their smells) so I wouldnt be to worried as long as they are eating greens and pooping fine. Some sources:

https://www.petsthattravel.com/rabb... be totally,Use an appropriate travel carrier.

https://bunnylady.com/traveling-in-the-car/
https://www.thesprucepets.com/can-rabbit-tolerate-long-drive-in-car-1239291

You say he's still eating. Normally? And what foods? Do the foods he's eating have a high moisture content, like fresh grass, forage, or veggies, or are they mostly dry foods like pellets and hay?
Hello! Thank you for the reply. He is eating hay as well as lettuce that I give him every day. He is a 10 pound rabbit, so I’m not sure how much lettuce I need to give him for him to have enough water in his system…

Latest posts

Back