not cutting nails...?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MATH

Reaction score
Well I came across some bunnies the other day. The owner, not a very experienced owner, told me she does not cut her rabbits' nails. The nails don't seem that long to me, but they are a dark brown color. I've always said cut nails, basically because everyone tells you to do so! I know they can catch their nails which can be painful, any other problems not cutting nails could cause?

If they are kept on a mesh floor the nails can actually catch and get ripped out causing pain, blood loss, and potentially infection (I've seen it first hand. Very neglectful owner.)
Otherwise, if the nails overgrow it can make walking uncomfortable for the rabbit. The quicks (vein in the nail) will grow longer, therefore trimming to the proper length would entail cutting the quick (painful, blood loss, ect), or very frequent nail trims until the quick recedes and the nails can be cut to a reasonable length.
Overgrown front nails can also make grooming more difficult, overgrown rear nails are more likely to cause injury if the rabbit scratches his face/ears/eyes, ect. They might also split or break, causing pain and blood loss.
The brown color is probably due to pigment alone. I assume it's a solid colored rabbit? Especially darker colored animals tend to have darker colored or black nails.

Their nails may not be long now but they will certainly get there if they aren't cut!

Also once they get long enough the nail will start to twist which will cause the pressure to be on a different part of the rabbits leg or foot which in turn negatively effects the joints I believe.

Depending what bunnies are kept on they can wear themselves. So you don't have to trim. Also there is the rare bunnies who trim their own nails.

Absolutely you should cut your bunnies nails, unless they are kept on a rough surface that wears them down (like concrete), or they nip them off themselves. Once a month, I take off about 2mm worth of nail, and my guys are kept on floors and carpet. It takes some practice, but finding the quick and not cutting it isn't very hard if you have the right tools, a firm grip, and plenty of light. Also keep styptic powder on hand in case. They can get torn out, the long nails can change the way they walk, leading to sore hocks (bleeding heels), the nails can curl under and cause lots of pain and movement issues.

Younger bunnies usually don't need their nails cut (at least in my experience), but their nails get sharp, so it's best at least to clip the tip off.

If I were you I would let the owner of the bunnies know about why she should clip their nails.

Tell her you are just looking out for the wellbeing of the rabbits and that by keeping their nails trimmed it will save them a lot of pain!

Latest posts

Back