Not bonding so well, going too fast?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_discowhore

Reaction score
Got a new bunny a few days ago, a very sweet little baby girl bun who is very friendly and lovely... introduced her to my neutered boy in our bathroom and it all seemed fine, they followed each other around sniffing, and then he would go up to her and lay his head down for her to lick and she would sniff him and hop away, he would follow and lick around her eyes. Moved to a play-pen outside of his hutch (attached to the side of his hutch) and he would chase her out of the hutch if she went in and ignore her outside in the pen... soo had them in the laundry (where he used to live) and he chased her a little bit and tried to grab her, she is naturally quite scared of him and hides behind me and I stop him from chasing her. Today I had him free roaming in the garden and she was having some free time in his hutch to get out in the sun (she is so small she can get out of the play pen so it's the only way she can go outside) and I came out to check on her and she wasn't in the cage and there was bits of her fur around on the lawn. I thought a cat or dog had gotten in somehow and freaked out a bit, noticed that the latch on the bottom level of the cage was someone undone (?!??!?!)... thankfully found her hiding under a bush (SO lucky she didn't run away!) with bits of hair missing, and some bloody bits where the hair was ripped out... he had some of her hair around his face, so I can only presume it was him. What do I do now?

When he was first bonding with the first rabbit that lived here (who just moved out a few weeks ago), he had some hair ripped from his back and some bloody patches from when she was humping him... but I think this little girl is too small to handle any of that, and she must be so scared now... what is the best way to go about reintroduction? Wait until she is bigger? He has never been an aggressive rabbit before, he was so submissive to the last girl that lived here...

If you just got her a few days ago you should wait until she's settled in. A new environment AND bonding is a little much to handle. Let her finish growing and get her spayed, as well.

When you are ready to try again (and don't until you're sure or you could ruin it for good) do it in a neutral space. One where neither rabbit has been where you can have absolute control if things get out of hand. I've heard of a lot of quick and slow methods. Other people can give you more specific advice.

Best of luck!

Definitely let her grow up and get her spayed.

Also, it does sound like you are moving too fast for a pair that isn't getting along yet. I would stick to neutral spaces (do you have a bathtub?) for a while, rather than going right into your male's territory.

Latest posts

Back