Not being able to neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kati's Holland Lops

Reaction score
Ok .. So 2 of my rabbits (Cosmo and zoey ) had this adorable black otter baby, my parents are lettin me keep him as a pet and not as part of my rabbitry. Cosmo used to be my pet bunny but from the moment that I bred him he was a turd ball! I was wondering if I keep the baby away from females will he still be cute a cuddly? ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404085331.973228.jpg

maybe but I don't really think it matters if there's a female around, it might make his hormones higher but once he reaches sexual maturity he will probably be hormonal/aggressive. I have a bunny who is the sweetest little thing! I haven't neutered him, he is hormonal but shows no aggression and follows me everywhere like a puppy he's so sweet, has never bitten or lunged or shown aggression. he just humps everything! But all my other male rabbits are a bit aggressive. It really depends on the rabbit and if you spend lots of time with him he could be a great pet! you may just have to learn to tolerate his hormonal/aggressive behavior if it comes up.

Last edited:
He will still know there are bunnies nearby. Even if he doesn't, when he reaches puberty nothing can stop the hormones from turning him into a spraying pee hose. He might be aggressive and hump everything too.

Why aren't you able to neuter? I honestly think it's the best thing you can do for your bun.

Hmmm, we have a retired show rabbit that is now just a pet. He lives inside while everyone else is outside. He is a sweetie and always has been, even after we bred him. He has a stuffed mouse now for companionship but he always likes to smell my shirt after I've been with the others, lol. There's no way of knowing how yours will be. You can always get him neutered if it becomes a problem.

We don't have the money too.. It's 600 dollars where we are. It's like 30 at the ASPCA but I'm afraid he won't
Make it through the operation, how good of a quality operation could a 30 dollar neutering be??? ;-;

$600 doesn't guarantee anything either. Some vets up the prices to deter people becasue the vet doesn't really want to do rabbits. A higher bill may mean better monitoring and medications, but doesn't necessarily mean a better vet. If the SPCA knows rabbits and neuters rabbits on a regular basis, it can be a good option. It is good to ask questions no matter where you go and not just assume that the price means everything.

How hormonal a male gets can vary. Some only hump a bit, others hump everything, spray, and are little terrors. Some are good around other rabbits, some aren't. You do sort of have to wait and see what he will be like. He could be fine and not really need to be neutered. He could also end up being a total brat that you want done as soon as you can.

$30 may simply be low as an incentive to get the job done. $30 is way better than $600 and most people would say "that's the price of dinner out, we can afford that"... and therefore get their animal neutered as opposed to not.

NO ONE can tell you what the kit will be like as a mature rabbit, Only time can tell you that. He may (or may not) go through a spell of spraying. He may (or may not) stop spraying once he's relaxed into an adult. You don't know and it's hard to predict.

I would suggest keeping it in the back of your mind to have him neutered if he develops issues you are not willing to live with or if you feel it is necessary for his own health. I agree that the SPCA may be fine for neutering. These places have their ways of keeping costs down without risking the health of the animals. You may want to speak with someone that works there about your concerns. If the frequently do rabbit spay/neuters than I would be more inclined to go to them.

It all will depend on your bun. I have a male that is intact. He is an indoor pet. He is a wonderful pet and has never been aggressive in any way. He has even remained so even after I rescued two intact females that also live inside. He does know they are here. I was told by his breeder that males make wonderful pets, even more so than females and neutering is not necessary if it is the only bun.

We don't have the money too.. It's 600 dollars where we are. It's like 30 at the ASPCA but I'm afraid he won't
Make it through the operation, how good of a quality operation could a 30 dollar neutering be??? ;-;

The reason your local SPCA is able to do such low cost spays and neuters is because they are charities run by volunteers, with vets (often the same vets you would pay $600 at their offices) volunteering their services and time. All of my animals (including my rabbits) have been altered through SPCAs. I also donate my time, supplies, and money whenever I can. They are not cheap because they do a shoddy job, they are cheap as a way to promote spaying/neutering and responsible pet ownership.

Bucks, especially breeding bucks, should not be aggressive. I'm surprised so many are saying they have aggressive bucks. Bucks tend to be very forward and friendly, much more than does.

I would not include an aggressive buck in a breeding program at all. As for whether offspring will show the same temperament...only time will tell.

Latest posts

Back