Not Again!!! )=

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lissa

Reaction score
Iszy is sick again. She's sneezing like crazy and there is a thick white discharge. She's only had about a one-month remission from the last time this happened. The vet did a culture about a month ago and found pantoea agglomerans. I still to this day have no idea what that is, and neither does the vet. I wish someone could find out what the heck this is because it's back.

I removed Iszy from the bunny room away from Pristine and gave her Baytril. What else can I do?!? :( What is pantoea agglomerans?

I just did a search on google- it's a species ofbacteria. I will be praying for her. Her vet may beable to put her on a more aggressive treatment- stronger and/ormultiple antibiotics. Is Baytril what she put you on lasttime? Because when infections reoccur, it's not unusual forthe strain of bacteria to be resistant to the firsttreatment. I've seen that with my sister and it's not fun.

Wishing you the best!

:bouquet:
Edit- looking back at my search, it looks like it usually infectsplants. Maybe your bun is like my sister. Aftermultiple kidney infections she had an ear piercing infected by abacteria that normally only affects cows because she wasimmunocompromised.

I'm trying to do a bit of research to see whatit is, so far i just came across what it does for human health. "P.agglomerans can cause opportunistic infections in immunecomprimised patients."..i'll keep looking.

Baytril is what she was put on lasttime. It cleared it up completely for about a month and nowit's back? Is this something that's recurrent? Isthere anyway to completely kill this bacteria so it won't comeback? Is it contagious? I have so many questions.

I'm so going to scream at my vet. :X

I've looked up the bacteria everywhere onlinebut I can't understand it. It doesn't make sense to mebecause it's all in vet language.

Lissa, did she do a culture and sensitivitytest? That would show what drugs the bacteria will besensitive to. If not, you may want to request it this timearound.

naturestee wrote:
Lissa, did she do a culture and sensitivity test?That would show what drugs the bacteria will be sensitive to.If not, you may want to request it this time around.

Agree.

Thining and praying for you.

:pray:

-Carolyn

She did do a culture and sensitivity test andBaytril was on the list of medications susceptible. There arejust so many questions.

Did I do the right thing by moving Iszy away from Pristine? Ifeel horrible about that. But if it is contagious, I don'twant Pristine catching it. My poor Iszy. :(

Dumb vets!!!!!!!

The complex actions of bacteria and viralinfections are not completely understood. This bacteria isone that is more known for taking advantage of an immune compromised orstressed system rather than being that actual cause of disease.

Also, there are no tests that pick up every single pathogen --generally only the more well known ones. There are many, manyorganisms that science has not yet identified.

Hang in there -- your vet is doing the best he can.

I know you are under so much stress and emotionally exhausted after losing beautiful Lenci.

Pam

What if this killed Lenci? What if shecontracted the bacteria and that was part of the reason shedied? Is Pristine going to get it? Is itcontagious?

I'm just so frustrated right now. I have a call into the vetand I'm waiting for the return call. I know what he's goingto tell me....nothing. There has to be someone that knowsmore about this.

I just want to know these things:

1. Is it contagious?

2. Is it curable?

3. Can it be fatal?

4. What the heck caused it? Something outside?

When I did the google search, I saw that humanscould be infected after being injured by plant thorns. Butthat caused systemic arthritis, not a nasal infection.

I think you did the right thing be separating them, just to besafe. Since this seems to be more of a problem inimmunocompromised rabbits/people, I would not think this was the causefor Lenci's death unless something serious happened to both Lenci andIszy.

Lissa,

I'm sending prayers to you, all that's happened and now this.

I am truely sorry. I do hope your vet finds something to get rid of it all.

:monkey::monkey:

Still waiting for the stupid vet to callback. Our regular vet is on vacation...go figure.:? They are VETS! They are supposed to be able toanswer all my questions. Do they not care? Maybe Ishould go somewhere else.

And, no, I really don't need this right now. I just don'tknow how much more of this rabbit chaos I can handle.

Could it be snuffles? I dono what thescientific name for that is. If so, yes it is contagous, itsa great thing that you seperated your buns, just to be on the safe sideno matter what it is. I know that snuffles can go away andcome back whenever stress is added. Not real sure if thatswhat it is though.

Robert

I'm FED UP! I called the vet's officebecause the vet never call me back. After 5 minutes ofholding I got to talk to a vet tech who relayed a message from the vetto separate the bunnies and give Iszy the Baytril. I KNOWTHIS ALREADY! I want to know what this is. I'mgoing to be calling UW-Madison to see if they know anythingaboutpantoea agglomerans. I will pay as much moneyas need to get to the bottom of this. If my vet can't give mean answer, SOMEONE WILL. I want to know what's wrong with mybaby. :( That isn't too much to ask for.

As to Robert's question, no pasteurella was found in the culture.

I tend to agree with you that you should have aback-up vet, Lissa. I know that you were happy with youroriginal one, but a back-up or one that you can count on to get back toyou or at least try to troubleshoot with you makes all the differencein the world when you're upset and stressing over theircondition. It's no wonder why your nerves are on end with therecent loss of Lenci, and still not really know what went wrong exactly.

Will help you locate another vet upon recommendations of someveterinarians that only see rabbits. I can ask them if theysuggest anyone in your locale if you wish.

-Carolyn

I have a call into the best veterinarians in theState....University of Wisconsin - Madison. I was referred tothem by several different veterinarians throughout the State.I will get to the bottom of this even if it costs me a limb.I need answers. Now.

Good for you, Lissa! Simply treatingwith the same antibiotic as before without even a culture/sensitivitytest is irresponsible of your vet. I hope they can help atUW-Madison. Let me know how it goes- I might need them as abackup sometime, too.

Latest posts

Back