Not active.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreezeNkody

4 Fuzz-Butts
Reaction score
So Gunner went to the vet the other day, vet said he looked ok bit gave me eye drops cause he's got some eye boogers. I don't really see it as a huge concern. But I'll give them to him. I had went out and bought Gunner a brand new hutch ( well chicken coop)ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1385930463.737414.jpg
Yesterday he was happy running around havin a blast. This morning I woke up opened up his hutch and he didn't come out he just laid there. And that was at 930 this morning. It's now 3:45pm and he still hasn't come out. He is eating his poop looks normal, his ears are slightly cold . He did come out when I offered him a piece of pellet, but went right back in.
Now the hutch does have a stinky smell because it's new. Not sure if that's making him feel not so good. I noticed he did chew on it a little bit. Bit hoping maybe someone may be able to give me some advice. Thanks!

If possible, take him out. Examine his butt for signs of any diarrhea, check his eyes(make sure his eye boogers arent back) Make sure he doesn't seem lethargic. The new smell of the hutch could be bothering him, but I'm not positive, what kind of wood is the hutch made out of? Could he just be upset about going to the vets yesterday?

Cedar is what it's made out of. His butt is fine. His poops are fine. Plenty of water in the hutch. His belly isn't firm. Maybe he's just super comfy in his new home. He was in a med sized dog kennel for a few weeks. This one is a lot bigger more places to hide. If he's not running around tomorrow I will have to make another appointment I think. He's still eating so that hasn't changed.

I would watch him. Try to put something up so he can't chew on the cedar. This can be bad for the bunny as it has what is called phenols which can affect the liver enzymes. Here are some sources where it kind of explains cedar wood. (If anyone thinks differently please say so, I just remember being told to stay away form cedar and Decided to search some links to post)
http://www.rabbit.org/care/shavings.html
This is an article that just states a little about cedar.
. Clay or clumping litters for cats can be dangerous to bunnies. Pine, cedar or other aromatic wood shavings may also be harmful to your bunny's health. Use a simple paper based, recyclable litter provides your bunny with a safe litter.

In this link JBun states more about the kinds of wood: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f40/wooden-chew-toy-safe-ingest-74843/

Just make sure to keep an eye on him to make sure he is eating/drinking/ and pooping normally.

Most hutches are made out of cedar I believe. I have sprayed bitter apple on the wood so he doesn't chew too much. He had wood chews and tons of cardboard to chew on. I will be keeping a close eye on him tho. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back