No veggies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
Are veggies a necessity for rabbits? My local store has literally nothing but iceberg. So Apollo hasn’t eaten any veggies for like a week. So he’s mainly living off hay, and pellets. I’ve started growing my own, with the help of my grandfather, who is a gardener. But it’s going to take a while and even then, we only have rocket (arugula) growing, along side some herbs. So he wouldn’t be able to eat that every day.
Is there a way I could supplement veggies or will he just be fine without them? He doesn’t get treats a lot of the time aside from the part of fruit that I don’t want to eat, like the end of a banana, or a small bite of my finished apple. Sorry, this might be a stupid question.

He should be fine but add them back slowly. Just give him lots of grass from outside, but make sure it is all safe for him to eat.

Yes veggies are necessary but you can get veggies like kale, cilantro, spinach and things like that. you don't just have to get them at your local store if there are other places available. I think it is good that you are growing your veggies, I also read that spinach grow in 5-9 days

Yes veggies are necessary but you can get veggies like kale, cilantro, spinach and things like that. you don't just have to get romaine lettuce.
I mean because of Covid-19. All my stores are literally empty. There is no kale, spinach or even romaine. I’m growing Corinader, which I think is what cilantro is but that won’t be usable for a few weeks.

Your bunny will be okay without veggies. Myself don’t buy veggies to my bunnies. They only get it when the prices at the store are okay and I can afford buying veggies. I have a tight budget, but I’ll be changing that when I’m no longer a poor university student.

But my bunnies handle it good, they get a lot of greens during spring and summer time. Just like the wild bunnies and during autumn and winter they only get a bit of veggies a few times during the months as treats. So Apollo will be okay, what they can’t be without it’s grass/hay ^^

Maybe you can buy dry herb treats for bunnies, so he can get a bit of greens. I often buy dry herbs/weeds treats for bunnies during the winter time ^^

Your bunny will be okay without veggies. Myself don’t buy veggies to my bunnies. They obly get it when the prices at the store are okay and I can afford buying veggies. I have a tight budget, but I’ll be changing that when I’m no longer a poor university student.

But my bunnies handle it good, they get a lot of greens during spring and summer time. Just like the wild bunnies and during autumn and winter they only get a bit of veggies a few times during the months as treats. So Apollo will be okay, what they can’t be without it’s grass/hay ^^
Thank you! I kept telling my parents to get veggies this week and each time they went out they said there wasn’t anything!

Most rabbits don't get any veggies, hay and pellets are sufficient. Even just hay would do for quite some time. Veggies are a nice thing to add, but not essential, it's more that we like to feed good stuff to our pets, when it comes to lifestock that isn't paying off.
You could introduce grass and weeds, but I reckon good stuiff can be hard to find in cities.

Anyway, your rabbit will be fine without veggies, just reintroduce them gradually when this madness is over. Be sure to keep the water bowl is always filled, without green stuff they need more water.

My bun doesn't get a daily dose of veggies either, because our local shops are barren as well even without the virus rampaging around as it is, so just like Hermelin, i give him vegs when i have the chance. romaine lettuce, broccoli, beijing cabbage and occasional dill can be found in his monthly menu, occasionally with a bite of a cucumber. Musti is doing finely without them being on his plate every day, so there should be no worries.

Ah, i thought that while i'm here, i might as well ask for advice. since spring, as in THE spring is closing in, and we're starting transmigration to our summer habitat and building our hidey-hole garden-ish thing, i wondered i could ask for advice.
when building a secure outside enclosure for bun, what should i keep in mind when constructing it? how can i keep hawk-like birds and foxes, wolves out? ( we have little to no predators out here in estonia) How do i distinguish between his edible and deadly grasses, how do i weed out the bad ones? is it okay if i just spill edible plant seeds down and let them grow there?

Most rabbits don't get any veggies, hay and pellets are sufficient. Even just hay would do for quite some time. Veggies are a nice thing to add, but not essential, it's more that we like to feed good stuff to our pets, when it comes to lifestock that isn't paying off.
You could introduce grass and weeds, but I reckon good stuiff can be hard to find in cities.

Anyway, your rabbit will be fine without veggies, just reintroduce them gradually when this madness is over. Be sure to keep the water bowl is always filled, without green stuff they need more water.

Thank you! I took him outside in my garden for two hours and he totally ignored the grass. I guess London grass isn’t good enough for country bun!

My bun doesn't get a daily dose of veggies either, because our local shops are barren as well even without the virus rampaging around as it is, so just like Hermelin, i give him vegs when i have the chance. romaine lettuce, broccoli, beijing cabbage and occasional dill can be found in his monthly menu, occasionally with a bite of a cucumber. Musti is doing finely without them being on his plate every day, so there should be no worries.

Ah, i thought that while i'm here, i might as well ask for advice. since spring, as in THE spring is closing in, and we're starting transmigration to our summer habitat and building our hidey-hole garden-ish thing, i wondered i could ask for advice.
when building a secure outside enclosure for bun, what should i keep in mind when constructing it? how can i keep hawk-like birds and foxes, wolves out? ( we have little to no predators out here in estonia) How do i distinguish between his edible and deadly grasses, how do i weed out the bad ones? is it okay if i just spill edible plant seeds down and let them grow there?

Wow! I want to live where you live to have wolves! Sorry, that is not the point. To keep the wolves :)eek:) out, I would build the enclosure - which I’m guessing is a hutch? - raised off the ground by at least a foot or two. Someone is making a really nice outdoor enclosure, you can check it out here https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/new-rabbit-owner.97094/page-5#post-1135791
If your rabbits is a digger it would be best to build on concrete or solid ground. But if you want him to graze I think most grass is good. If anything, if your suspicious about a certain plant, just pull it out. Sorry, I don’t know if this answers your question. If you make a thread about it, more people will be able to help!

I would put a metal roof on the hutch so that no birds can get him, and I would do a concrete floor for several reasons. He can't dig out, nothing can dig in, he won't eat bad weeds, it keeps him cool in the summer, and it naturally files down his nails. Make sure you are using welded wire or hardware cloth too because birds and raccoons can break through chicken wire. If you want him to eat grass, I would buy clover seeds or wheatgrass seeds (same as barely or cat grass) and plant that in a planter (see picture). I would do it above ground so that he can sit underneath it in the summer, and put a ramp up to it: https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Solv...r_1_7?keywords=pet+ramp&qid=1585152843&sr=8-7.
upload_2020-3-25_11-15-11.jpeg

@Blue eyes hey, basil is a good idea! i'll have to go out and get some seeds when all the big fuss is over. i stocked up on dill, lettuce and beijing cabbage seeds too.
@Mariam+Theo did i get that right that you were talking about a hutch?
what i have is that his cage part is inside, in a shed-like thing, and the ''run/sanctuary´´ type thing will be outside, right the other side of the wall. we are planning on giving him a fenced/gated outside area where he'll be free to move however he wants.

@Mariam+Theo did i get that right that you were talking about a hutch?
what i have is that his cage part is inside, in a shed-like thing, and the ''run/sanctuary´´ type thing will be outside, right the other side of the wall. we are planning on giving him a fenced/gated outside area where he'll be free to move however he wants.
Yeah, I was talking about the hutch. I just saw your thread, whoops.

grass, grass, and more grass. If you can find grass which I'm sure you can, it makes a good replacement because it is fresh green. Fresh maple leaves are also good. Good luck though.

Latest posts

Back