No rabbit, parents are changing their minds.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a...YES!!!!! I CAN get 2 buns in our shed if I get it cleaned out and disinfected and but in some filters. YESS! THANK YOU everybody who came up with the ideas especially the shed idea. THANK YOU!!!:bunnydance::pinkbouce::yes::party:

Congratz!

You take good care of those bunnies now, you hear? LoL don't want to give your mom ANY excuse to start regretting her decision (pfft, what am I saying..she'll probably end-up a bunny-slave like the rest of us -trust me, those bunnies have evil designs of dominating the world!:p)

anneq wrote:
Congratz!

You take good care of those bunnies now, you hear? LoL don't want to give your mom ANY excuse to start regretting her decision (pfft, what am I saying..she'll probably end-up a bunny-slave like the rest of us -trust me, those bunnies have evil designs of dominating the world!:p)

lol, She'll take one look at my buns and melt.

Rabies.. ha. There are no documented cases since I last checked of a rabbit transmitting rabies to a human (or any other animal for that matter). There are tons of cats who have done this, though. And the cats at my parents house were more destructive than my rabbit has ever been. Not to mention they're both very clean animals.. they're only dirty if you don't clean their environment.

I think the shed is a good idea. To me outdoors is OUTDOORS in a hutch/pen. Outdoors can be very dangerous because of predators, constant stresses, and weather. It was 86 degrees in my APARTMENT today and my rabbits were having trouble with the heat. If they'd been out in a hutch, regardless of shade, they'd have died of heat exhaustion. Same goes for freezing to death in the winter. To me, a shed or barn is NOT outdoors. It is a shelter.. a scaled down version of a house which is "indoors". So long as it is temperature controlled in some way (fans in summer, heater in winter) it's basically the exact same thing as being indoors.. so I don't get the argument. I mean.. is there anyone here who even keeps their rabbits outside in a hutch alone?

I would never support this idea.. because wild animals have been known to injure rabbits THROUGH hutches.. or open them and get the rabbit out. I bet the rabbit I bagged at the animal hospital who was decapitated by another animal (pulled from his hutch at night) would beg to differ about the safety of outdoor rabbits. I also assume that the two rabbits who contracted rabies after being attacked by a raccoon through their cage would have been happier inside.
I assume that the rabbits who suffer from fly strike, bot flies, and maggots would prefer to be kept indoors.

My rabbits like attention on their own terms. I like being able to come home and relax after work and let my bunnies approach me when they feel like it. I wouldn't cage my rabbits indoors or out. I agree that no animal should be confined indoors its entire life, which is why in good weather my pets come outside with me to run around. I can't see sitting in my barn for hours after work, but I can see sitting in the living room, petting my bunnies as they ask for it, whether I'm watching TV, on the computer, or just hanging out with the buns.

First of all congratulations to you!! Two bunnies, even better! Do take them out for supervised runs in the grass. You can pick up 15ft of wire mesh from Lowes, use some twist ties to close it off and set it up in a circle to keep them from going where you don't want them to. I like to lay down in the center and just relax while they run around me. I've been attempting some click training too.

In response to the last post - I think that everyones situation is different. My bunnies live in hutches... they are large multi-level hutches with long runs that connect them so they are free to roam the entire area which is all grass bottom. They are on the side of our house that gets 100% shade and impossible for any animal to get into as the mesh is tight and the doors have locks. I live close to the ocean and it never gets that hot because we have a great breeze and on those rare days that it gets over 85 degrees I have soft ice packs that they love to lay on. I work at home and can see them 5ft from my window all day while I work. I take 20 minute breaks a few times a day that I love to spend with my buns. I know that working in an animal hospital you see the most unfortunate & tragic cases but I don't think it's fair to say that all hutch situations are bad or doomed. Oh by the way we also have a 3 legged cat that lives in our backyard and guards the rabbits and is very protective of them. So like I said I think every situation is different. It really comes down to being a responsible caretaker, covering your bases and doing proper research.

Did I come tothis thread a bit too late? Well anyway congratulations!

I'm very sure you'll be a great owner. You had the good sense of researching bunnies before getting one, so you already know how to take care of them, instead of making mistake after mistake before finally doing it right. For this dedication, i applaud you.

Now just go ahead and have fun with your bunnies!

Congratulations, you handled the entire situation in a wonderful way, that might stand you in good stead in the near future. I'm thinking that if you spiff up the shed, get some cute bunnies, stick to your responsibilities and keep the shed spotless, you can kind of accidently leave a rabbit info book on the living room sofa that says that house bunnies are terrific! (No disrespect to those who keep their buns in good outdoor accomodations, but I think in THIS particular situation, those cute bunnies are going to worm their way into parent hearts and possibly the house.)

I am delighted for you, and impressed by the way you handled it all.

Latest posts

Back