No rabbit, parents are changing their minds.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunLuvvie

Reaction score
Well, my mom just dropped a huge bomb on me today. I cannot get a rabbit. AT ALL. She already promised and everything, But she had to get a cat before the rabbit. (she's a cat person) So we have the kitty. Now she says she did some research and that rabbits are dirty, destructive and carry rabies. I made a BOOK of printouts about rabbit care all organized and indexed and I know I am ready for one and am sure I can handle the responsibility. I showed it to her but she refused to read it. Just when I had my heart set on a bunny.:cry2

BunLuvvie wrote:
Now she says she did some research and that rabbits are dirty, destructive and carry rabies.
Well, yes, rabbits are dirty and destructive but as far as I know do not carry rabies. My cat gets rabies shots but not my rabbits.

If you have a back yard maybe she will let you keep one outdoors. Don't let people scare you into thinking they are just indoor pets. Most of them don't have reliable infomation because they don't have experience with outdoor rabbits.

So sorry that they have changed their mind on you. Bunnies certanly can be dirty and destructive, but like what was said above they dont carry rabies. Rabbits in the states dont even get shots like they due in other countries.

Rabbits can defintely be kept outside with proper housing , and precautions of course. Someone else with experience on keeping rabbits outside would have to give you information on that as i have no experince with outside rabbits. good luck.

Baby Juliet wrote:
BunLuvvie wrote:
Now she says she did some research and that rabbits are dirty, destructive and carry rabies.
Well, yes, rabbits are dirty and destructive but as far as I know do not carry rabies. My cat gets rabies shots but not my rabbits.

If you have a back yard maybe she will let you keep one outdoors. Don't let people scare you into thinking they are just indoor pets. Most of them don't have reliable infomation because they don't have experience with outdoor rabbits.
^^^OK, let's rephrase that... no need to make generalized, sweeping assumptions about the integrity of membership experiences.

The basics don't differ that much between in/outdoor rabbits.

As with any other creature that requires constant gnawing to keep their teeth at a manageable level, a rabbit with a lack of appropriate wearing mechanisms such as branches will destroy wood in its efforts to chew.

Any animal not kept in clean conditions with regular maintenance will be "dirty".

Rabbits do not harbour zoonotic illnesses that can be transferred to the human population. In fact, they have one of the lowest numbers of species-species transmissions of infections.

Yes, rabbits can be kept outside in appropriate housing, under appropriate climate, being fed a proper diet.

However, many pet owners prefer to keep their rabbits indoors so as to spend more time with them. It is reasonable to believe that an indoor pet will likely have more interactions with their owner than an outdoor pet, in the average suburban scenario. Folks don't spend as much time outside these days, and thus may not spend as much time with the animal.

If you are dedicated to actively engaging with the rabbit outdoors on a daily basis, then it is a reasonable setup. If you cannot commit to that time outside with the single rabbit, there is little mental stimulation for the animal that doesn't have a partner.

NorthernAutumn wrote:
However, many pet owners prefer to keep their rabbits indoors so as to spend more time with them. It is reasonable to believe that an indoor pet will likely have more interactions with their owner than an outdoor pet, in the average suburban scenario. Folks don't spend as much time outside these days, and thus may not spend as much time with the animal.

This is the sorriest excuse for having an indoor pet. What kind of person would ignore a rabbit just because it's outside? The same kind who would ignore it inside.

An indoor rabbit will live longer than an outside rabbit. The indoor rabbit is less likely to get sick from the cold, whereas an outdoor rabbit can get sick from the cold or even get too hot. Along with other predators that are outside that can scare the rabbit. A rabbit that is indoors won't get too scared, they have someone to cuddle them and let them know that they are okay!

Wow, would like to check the source your mom was reading! In the wrong circumstances, any animal could be classified as "destructive, dirty, has rabies". Heck, I've never heard of any pet rabbit under normal circumstances ever having rabies..?

Between most cats I know and my rabbits, I rather deal with 10 rabbit litterboxes than one cat litterbox.. PHEWW! GROSS! If you rabbit proof the area and provide alternative toys to destroy, you can usually focus the rabbits destructiveness on something else.

It's too bad one negative source has changed your mom's outlook. I don't consider my rabbits dirty at the least.. as long as you do regular maintence and litterbox cleanings, you're fine. Usually it's when someone lets things build up and doesn't stay on top of cleaning do they become dirty! But that's the owners, not the bun itself.

Baby Juliet wrote:
NorthernAutumn wrote:

This is the sorriest excuse for having an indoor pet. What kind of person would ignore a rabbit just because it's outside? The same kind who would ignore it inside.
Not necessarily! An indoor rabbit gets a lot more attention than an outdoor rabbit. When my brother had his rabbits outside they didn't get as much attention but they got some attention every day or so. So it really depends on how busy you are if the rabbit will get a lot of attention or some attention. I have two indoor rabbits and they get a lot of attention.

Mom said the only way to get a rabbit was if I kept him outside. There are at least 5 neighborhood cats on free roam, I've seen them in our backyard all the time! Way too dangerous.

Baby Juliet wrote:
NorthernAutumn wrote:

With all due respect, I doubt many folks sit around in the barn with their bunnies all day .
Many people work in and around the home. I attend school full time... I can multitask patting the buns, and reading my chapters. Can't do that in the winter without dragging the outdoor bun inside, and risking dramatic flux in temperature stressing the animal.
I walk by my guys often while doing other household tasks, and give them a treat or a nose rub for a minute.

An outdoor animal requires someone to be far more diligent and attentive to needs of the animal, regardless of personal comfort. That is a fact, not an "excuse"

Your combative comment is a very black/white look at the scenario. There are many shades of grey... very few people would flat-out ignore a rabbit, indoor or out. The most fulfilling situation for both is what the owner must carefully choose.

BunLuvvie wrote:
Mom said the only way to get a rabbit was if I kept him outside. There are at least 5 neighborhood cats on free roam, I've seen them in our backyard all the time! Way too dangerous.

I think you are making the right choice if that is the case... That's very responsible and unselfish of you. Very mature!

That sucks though that your mom thinks that! Maybe show her what everyone here has said? Or heck, have her join and ask her own questions. Who better to get your information from than a bunch of people who own rabbits and know what they are REALLY like?

BunLuvvie wrote:
I wonder if your mom would be willing to have a garden shed where your bunny could live. Pop a chair in there, and you'd be in paradise. It would provide security from the cats, and safety from the elements.

Baby Juliet wrote:
NorthernAutumn wrote:

ACTUALLY, I don't see my ducks, goat, horses or sheep as much as I see my dog, cats, and bunnies..... why? because my animals inside are around me all the time when I am doing chores or just relaxing.... in addition to time we directly spend with them. I see all the others daily but not like I see the dog..... who sleeps with me.....

When I go outside to interact with my rabbits I'm totally focused on the rabbits. When my cat sleeps with me I'm usually unconsciense. So time wise I spend more with the cat but the rabbits get individual quality time. The rabbits get handled more because my cat don't like being hugged.
Is a dog better off than a pet horse just because it gets to stay in the house? I think time spent grooming a horse is better quality to the horse than just being in the barn all day doing other chorse.

With all due respect this thread is about bunluvvies situation not about wether indoor or outdoor rabbits get more quality time :)Bunluv, I think a shed would be a good idea too, you could take your home work or stuff out there and do that whilst your buns with you. Do you have like a enclosed porch or fenced off deck? We have one neighbourhood cat but my buns are on the deck so the cats can't really get to them. Could you show your mum this thread so she can see that not all bunnies are dirty, destructive and have rabies?

Baby Juliet wrote:
When I go outside to interact with my rabbits I'm totally focused on the rabbits. When my cat sleeps with me I'm usually unconsciense. So time wise I spend more with the cat but the rabbits get individual quality time. The rabbits get handled more because my cat don't like being hugged.
Is a dog better off than a pet horse just because it gets to stay in the house? I think time spent grooming a horse is better quality to the horse than just being in the barn all day doing other chorse.

Looking at it in "people" thinking probably does seem that way but try to think of it in the sense animals do....

My dog dearly LOVES being a dog and sleeping.... and when Mom goes night night with her, she's even happier. We might be somewhat unconcious, but they know that we are next to them. Horses love the quality time, but they also like to watch us, and we talk to them when they are in the barn... doing chores includes a mane scratch, a treat, nose kisses, and sometimes conversations about life... :blushan:pokie amazingly likes to discuss how goofy the geldings are and how tired I get after working. ;)She's such a good listener and I think she appreciates my trust in her.

I don't think any pet is better than another. It all depends upon your preference. I also don't think it's horrible to have a pet outside. I just think that for the most part rabbits are safer, healthier and get more quality time as you say when they are inside.

Latest posts

Back