no poops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamela

Reaction score
any suggestions no poops for 24hours been to vet and said that bubbles had gas in his belly he gavehim an injection for pain and to get his bowels moving haseaten hay but not much we are feeding him by sryinge and pineapplejuice had two poops today but larger than normal weeing ok

What is the ingredient of infacol?Brand names change, but if the active ingredient is simethicone (sp?)then it's okay to use. Other methods that help are gentlemassage of his belly and encouraging him to exercise. Thevibrations from car rides can help break up gas too, but I'm guessingyou took a car to the vets' and it didn't help much. Youcould try offering him a heat source- try putting dry rice in a cleansock, tying it, and microwaving it to make it comfortablywarm. Then put it next to him, but let him move away if hedoesn't want the warmth.

Pineapple juice is okay for fluids, but you may want to water it down alotand only give him a little. It's very sugary andcould cause an overgrowth of bacteria in his intestines. Iknowthat some sources recommend it forhairballs,which your vet saidBubbles didn't have,but you'll still need to watchthe sugar.

It's good that he's pooping a little. Hopefully there will bemore soon!

yes it has simethicone in it how much do you give?

we have been watering the juice down

we have him on a heat pad which he likes he is not grinding his teeth anymore but he has started to make different noises

have mashed pellets and he likes that but he will not eat pellets or drink on his own only the hay

I agree I'd get him to the vet, somethings not right.

**Also jsut a note, my vet said pineapple juice doesn't help from theenzyme scale of things it has to be fresh because the heating processkills them?

been back to vet he said he hasnothing else to give as he is eating a little more himself and poopingnormal size but a little squashy and drinking bysringe but he seems to be straining other than that he said to put himto sleep if it continued 3 days time

How is he straining? If he's improving Iwouldn't even consider him being put down.. It's noyl been a day fromwhat you said and I wouldn't even think about it at three days. Is yourvet experienced with rabbits? If he's not then I would'nt go back tohim. If his poops are getting normal and jsut a bit squishy it couldjust be a bit of diarrhea? I don't know but it doesn't sound to me likeanything to put a rabbit down for. Hope he improves!

Do you know a second vet that is rabbit familaras it might help to get a 2nd opinion as it seems that we have all beenthrough some variation of this with our bunnies... and alot of themsurvive. Do you have have Critical Care? Also did your vettake any x-rays to see if he could see a blockage or did he just guessthat it was gas.? Also you could use Pedialyte for liquids instead ofwater...also have you tried giving him any greens that he likes alot?Let us know how he is behaving....did you trying massaging histummy gently in a circular motion to try to get things moving?

I'm wondering if he could use antibiotics orprobiotics. The mucous is usually from bacterial or viralissues. My vet prescribed Benebac, a probiotic, when Mochahad stasis with extra fluids in her gut but no discernable cause.

Since he's got a bit of diarrhea when he does poop you should probablygive him Pedialyte (rehydration drink for infants with diarrhea)instead of the juice and water. It will probably be called adifferent brand name by you.

I have to say I'm not a fan of your vet. Rabbits with GIstasis have been known to take a week or more to recover. Didhe at least give you an oral painkiller? He really needs itright now. Is there another vet in your area who treatsrabbits?

:pray::pray::pray:

I agree, I don't care for the vet. Any vet thatwould give up only after one day and give it three more days isn't avet I'd want to take my rabbits too.

Could he be constipated? From the noise he's making. Do you know aboutcecals? Does the jelly stuff look like cecal droppings? (smushed bundleof grapes).

not straining now have given him a probotic

the vet did not mention any oral pain relief can we buy it at a drug store?

we have a different vet this one was out of hours yes he did do x-ray and said it was gas

we have diaoralyte for babies for rehydrationhere would that be the same and what ingredients are in it

we have give him tummy rubs and he has not strained since

the jelly stuff has gone

will be going to our normal vet in morning to complain have to be quick ther as its my nan's funeral at 11am

When me and my vet thought something was thematter with Pepsi's throat eh prescribed Metacam. It smells like honeyand my rabbit loved it but I didn't think she was in pain after the dayafter I'd given it to her so I took her off it. I think you can onlyget it at the vets office and is kind of expensive. It was over 30dollars for a small bottle of it. I had to give 5cc ( think..) orallyevery 24 hours.

I've read about baby tylonal for pain but don't quote me on it.

I'd keep the tummy masages up and make sure he's eating well.

I think that if you keep up the treatment you'llbe able to get himout of this. I think your vet just didn't know whatelse to do so said "put him down"...I think that you'll be able to getyour bunny.out of this. Did your vet mention Reglan, a drug used in bunnies for motility....at one point when my Joey wasin stasis I was giving him Pedialyte mixed with fresh pineapple juce,critical care ( if you don't have it you could use pumpkin or babyfood), Reglan, Baytrol, (I gave a probiotic on my own) and Laxatonetoo. I mean I had to do this for 2 weeks to get him out of it but itworked.

i have urine testing strips in house and he hasa water infection also the end of his willie is red will be going tovets at 9am he is now eating hard part ofcabbage+ hay

colour of urine is clear but there is blood in and 2+ of glucose in it

Pamela..are you going to the same vet? It soundslike somthing else is going on with him. Can you see the blood or is itthat the test was positive for blood?

Latest posts

Back