No polite way to say this...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amauthor

Reaction score
My rabbit's anus is very red and swollen.

I was out of town for a week and had a friend come by to take care of him while I was gone. She texted me on Wednesday saying he wasn't eating, and I knew it was probably because he suffers from occasional poopy butt, where clods of feces get stuck and build up in the fur around his butt. I usually take care of this myself, but it involves flipping him over, not something I trusted my friend to do. Nor could she even get him into his carrier to take him to the vet to have it done by someone else.

I got home today and cleaned off the dried poop, much to my bunny's relief, but his anus is now red and swollen and looks pretty painful. He's passing pellets just fine and eating, but I'm wondering if there are signs I should look for to indicate an infection or some other possible damage to his system.

The rabbit in question is a senior, 10 years old, and has had bouts of GI stasis in the past. He is drinking and urinating just fine.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Could you send pics? I would make sure the are stays dry, could bathe with salt water and place a barrier cream such as sudocrem or savlon if really sore.

Latest posts

Back