no longer URGENT: Ivermectin sensitivity/overdose treatment info needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im so happy hes doing better...!! ya know hes a trooper cuz Ivermectin is some brutal stuff and hes kickin its butt!!..sending good thoughts and lets hope for a speedy recovery:)

I am ecstatic to say that Tony will be coming home this evening! He still is having some vision loss, which is often seen in dogs that have ivermectin sensitivity reactions, but it usually returns. He is eating on his own and pooping. I will be keeping him in a pen in his and Muffin's room with all the essentials he needs in there, but he will be able to see her through the gate. He will still be a bit fragile and I don't want Muffin humping him in the face as she often does, or have him running into something due to poor vision, so I'm going to keep his area restricted for a while longer. Plus we want to give him lots of food to keep his gut going and Muffin is a little piggy that would eat all his food. They aren't caged, and a good deal of jumping happens in that room (there's a futon they love to sit on and under, and it can be a bit tricky to navigate), so I want to keep him safe for a little while longer. I feel so lucky that he has pulled through this and still a bit worried about relapse so I still say everything with fingers crossed.

hase213.gif

Tony is doing well at home, although he eats a little more slowly so I have to keep him and Muffin separate because she'll eat his share. He's been eating, drinking, pooping, moving around normally, and doing the lamb chop half-flop pose. I think he's seeing better too. It is so great that he has come so far. I thought we were going to lose him for a long time there. I'll let you all know how the remainder of his recovery goes.

I always thought ivermectin was used on herps only....
Then again, I had to give some to a turtle I owned 2 years ago(he escaped his enclosure *sigh*) - then this year I heard it's used on herps - but toxic to turtles! Thank god it did the opposite and actually cured his issue and didn't poison him! I guess some vets don't pay attention!

I would never use ivermectin on reptiles. Their blood-brain barrier is quite different from the mammalian one, and the ability of ivermectin to get into the brain is how it causes toxicity. I have read that it is toxic to tortoises, and would have to find convincing evidence that the blood-brain barrier in other herps is quite different and more "sound" to use it in others.

Tony is eating well, but slowly so we keep the two separate. The fact that I'm enticing him with really tasty food and pedialyte also makes Muffin snarf down his share more quickly. They're not happy to be apart, but it's important that I can tell how much he's eating. I had them together for most of the day yesterday and it drove me crazy that he'd eat a few bites and stop, and then Muffin would eat the rest. He goes back to the food more often.

I let him run around the whole apartment last night and he did just fine. I think his vision is back, or he's a lot smarter than I had previously thought and he's navigating based on memory and whiskers. I'm weaning him off the metoclopramide since he's eating well on his own and pooping. His food preferences have shifted it seems, he prefers hay, which is great. I don't want to stop the laxative immediately because his system has probably gotten used to it, so I have just been increasing the time between doses. He also gets a fair amount of ProBios.

excellent news!!..everything i read on this subject was very dismal...Tony's a toughie.just like his name.Every Tony ive ever known have been tough and bad***.;) ..thanks for the update..:)

Tony is back at 100%. I hope this story is useful for others who may run into this situation or are considering self-dosing their bunnies with ivermectin.

I am glad to hear he is doing better and will be getting to come home. I will not be giving ivermectrin to my rabbits as they all are either broken or carry broken or rew genes. Thank you for the info. Sending my best wishes your way

Crystal

Glad to hear your situation turned out OK. I had an absolute nightmarish reaction with Ivomectrin and will not use it on anything in my herd. Losing one was enough for me. As I'm sure you found out, once it's in their system they either are able to fight off the reaction or they die. In my case, I lost a young senior Holland lop buck that had two junior legs. All it took for me in my rabbitry was that one reaction. I've found much safer products to use and I threw the stuff out.

On Monday my Vet administered Ivermectin to my 3 year old Holland Lop Buster. He has not eaten anything, will not drink and has not urinated or pooped in 3 days. His stomach is swollen and he is obviously in pain. I took him back to the vet today and they gave him fluids and pain mess and said he has gas. I was told to force feed him apple sauce with a syringe. I managed to get a little down him but he seems to be in so much pain even after the meloxicam. This is breaking my heart! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Latest posts

Back