No eating, pooping or peeing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the replies. I did purchase a pineapple and have some olive oil but didn't find aloe vera today. I'll look for it for next time.

Today he is acting much more like himself. He is fighting me viciously with the meds and ate some hay. He is still passing small, hard, infrequent poops, but I'm cautiously optimistic he's on the comeback.

Oh, and the head tilt is GONE. I'm thinking he has an ear infection.

Should I look for the aloe vera tomorrow and still try the concoction, or wait it out since he's passing a few tiny poops?

It would be a good idea to look for the aloe vera and give Evonne's mixture even though there are a few hard poops. In fact, if you cannot find the aloe vera I think it might be a good idea even to give the pineapple and olive oil without the aloe vera. Any gut slowdown is a serious condiiton for a bunny and you need to get the poops back to normal as quickly as possible.

oryctolaguslady wrote:
It would be a good idea to look for the aloe vera and give Evonne's mixture even though there are a few hard poops. In fact, if you cannot find the aloe vera I think it might be a good idea even to give the pineapple and olive oil without the aloe vera. Any gut slowdown is a serious condiiton for a bunny and you need to get the poops back to normal as quickly as possible.

:yeahthat:

evonnesart wrote:

Hello Angie,

Wediscovered , (a number of years ago), that fresh pineapple juicecombined with pure edible aloe vera juice/gel and olive oil, that the three can be combined in equal measure and syringe fed. This evolved from the older (now largely discarded) practice of feeding mineral oil as a laxative. Theoretically the enzymes in fresh *raw* pineapple (bromelain, ) will dissolve the mucous that acts as a matrix to hold hair and other ingesta in a block that cannot be voided naturally. The aloe is extremely healing to ulcerated guts, and it seems likely that any rabbit gut (very acid pH) that has slowed may endure some ulceration.This protocol has saved the lives of many rabbits.

]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_oil]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_oil[/url]
>>Olive oil is unlikely to cause allergic reactions[/color][/u], and as such is used in preparations for ear wax softener. Olive oil is also a potent blocker of intestinal contractions, and can be used to treat excessive NSAIDs like
>[u][color="#800080
>[u][color="#800080

Thank you so much. As I am getting a lionhead, longer hair, this tested remedy is exactly what I need to know. Know a lot about what aloe vera can do to help sooth.

Definitely will be joining in.

Thanks again.

K :)

Hi , I agree with Lucile and would give the bunny 3 mls of an olive oil/pineapple mix now and then again in a couple of hours and continue on until he
has good poops. I'm glad he doesn't seem to be going into head tilt, but an ear infection can be the cause of a bunnygoing into head tilt.

BTW,If you would liketo learn more about fat in a rabbit's diet , Chapter 4 in Lucile's new book, "Rabbit Nutrition and Nutritional Healing" is the best source available.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1602647852/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20http://www.amazon.com/dp/1602647852/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20[/url]

Evonne

Last edited by a moderator:
It took about 10 days, but Rodger Rabbit is back to normal. The olive oil and pineapple helped. Poor guy--I was constantly shoving syringes in his mouth or poking him with a needle. I'm glad he's back to his old self. I just ordered the book, too!

This is very good news - you are a great bun mom.;o) Another thing that I have just found out works really, really, well is canned pumpkin mixed with olive oil.Just helped a bunny whohad a partial impaction.

All the best to you and Rodger!

Evonne

Just food for thought, but I've heard it's not always the best route to use olive oil because bunnies can aspirate on it, and I've heard of bunnies dyeing this way.

Glad to hear Roger is better! YAY!

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
Just food for thought, but I've heard it's not always the best route to use olive oil because bunnies can aspirate on it, and I've heard of bunnies dyeing this way.
I've never used it, but the people at Natural Rabbit [as posted above] have used it many times. I guess rabbits can aspirate on anything that is being syringe fed. Where did you hear of problems? Was only olive oil being ingested, or was it mixed in with other things, as recommended?

Glad to hear your little guy is back to himself! :) For years my rabbit has been suffering with on and off bouts with stasis accompanied with gas. I have found that as soon as I start to notice that he is not eating or producing poop that starting to syringe feed right away and provide gas meds (simithicone) helps a lot to get him back to normal alot faster than waiting him out. I was thinking about what you said in regards to your bun kinda fighting you with the meds, and I had the same problem when I would have to do the rabbit burrito or just try to hold him in my arms. I found that if I just let him sit where he was and come to his level and syringe him 1ml of food at a time with the 1ml syringes, he didn't seem to mind as much. I would just sort of hold his head and pop the food in. Give him a pet and then repete as many as he needed. It takes a bit longer, but in the end for us it was alot less stressful. The 3ml syringe was good too, but I just have to be careful to not give too much at once. I find that my bun hates the big syringes lol. I suppose you have to try things out and see what works best for you and your bunny. Just glad to know your bun is happy again.

I've never heard of any such thing, I have been giving olive oil to my bunnies with great success since 1998!!!...and have recommended it to many people who have had bunnies with wool blockor who are in stasis...and have always has good results.

Rabbits will aspirate if the food or liquidyou are syringing is administered incorrectly. That is the problem, not the olive oil!

Evonne

I've never heard of any such thing, I have been giving olive oil to my bunnies with great success since 1998!!!...and have recommended it to many
people who have had bunnies with wool blockor who are in GI Hypomotility...and have always had good results. Rabbits will aspirate if the food or liquidyou are syringing is administered incorrectly. That is the problem, not the olive oil!

Evonne

I've never heard of any such thing, I have been giving olive oil to my bunnies with great success since 1998!!! And have recommended it to many
people who have had bunnies with wool blockor who are in GI Hypomotility...and have always had good results. Rabbits will aspirate if the food or liquidyou are syringing is administered incorrectly. That is the problem, not the olive oil!

Evonne

Latest posts

Back