No diet changes, but not eating cecals?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Docjekyll

Reaction score
I've had my six year old mini-rex since he was a baby and have never seen him leave a cecal... but when I checked on him this morning, there he sat surrounded by three petrified ones. His diet has not changed from the feed he's been on since I got him. Is it normal for older rabbits to leave some excess cecal behind?

Some common reasons why your rabbit may not be eating it's cecotropes are that it is overweight and is having a hard time reaching it's butt to eat them, and the other is that your rabbtit is getting too many pellets(even though it may be getting the same amount it's always gotten)and causing it to overproduce cecotropes. It's also possible that a health problem may be involved like arthritis or something else causing pain that might impede it from wanting to reach down and eat them. So barring some other health problem being the cause, the solution is to reduce the amount of pellets that you give your rabbit. The recommended amount for adult rabbits is 1/4 to 1/2 cup pellets a day per 6 lb. body weight, but this varies depending on each rabbits metabolism. He should also be getting unlimited grass hay. Hope this helps.

I notice this when my buns get a diet too rich. Ripley for instance has a few too many Papaya treats yesterday and shortly thereafter, I noticed cecals all over. Maybe bring down the pells as mentioned by Jenny and be sure there are no health issues like arthritis etc. going on.

age often plays a factor in rabbit digestion.

Check weight to see if it's an issue but if it's a sudden on-set thing, I'd be thinking maturity. May need to change protein amounts in the food bunny is receiving.

I've had my six year old mini-rex since he was a baby and have never seen him leave a cecal... but when I checked on him this morning, there he sat surrounded by three petrified ones. His diet has not changed from the feed he's been on since I got him. Is it normal for older rabbits to leave some excess cecal behind?
--the rabbit seems to know the extent to which the gut flora requires all ceco,s or oddly enough some round poops--this is part of balancing of bacteria in the gi-tract here is a link that will better explain http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sickbun.html sincerely james waller --you are well on your way to becoming a poopologist--:hbunnysmell::angel::singing::wink

Latest posts

Back