Nipping - what to do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lily2521

Reaction score
We've had bunny for about 3 weeks now, a male (neutered) Holland lop. He'll be 2 in December. He's nipped at us a few times.

The first time, he was being what I thought was playful with me, digging with his blanket and being playful, and after a minute, he kind of lunged at my hand, that time he did actually draw blood and I felt like it was more of a bite.

Another time, when he was licking my finger, he just brushed his teeth against my finger, I don't know if he was trying to figure out if it was food or what? Didn't draw blood though.

This last time, I was brushing him, and my daughter was giving him head pets, he nipped at her, didn't draw blood or anything, just again brushed his teeth against her hand (maybe he was done with my brushing him?)

I'm trying to read his cues to:
1. figure out why he nips
2. what do I do to tell him this isn't okay?

As I've said, we've only had him for about 3 weeks so I know he's still settling in, but I don't want him to think this behavior is okay either. Advice/tips?

If you make a high pitched squeal noise that often alerts them that something is not okay and will hopefully (pardon the pun) nip it in the bud. I've also heard if you gently press their head down for a few seconds it shows your dominant and that the behavior won't be tolerated. Good luck!!!

Yep, someone on here told me to gently press their head down for a second immediately after they do it and it worked great for my rabbit! With the blanket it almost sounds like a territorial thing, like "hey get away from my stuff". My rabbit still will pull her mouth on me, not bite, but she does it to make a point (which is still aggravating lol) when she wants me to get out of her way. If he's brushing his teeth against you or just putting his mouth on you without actually chomping on you it sounds like he's trying to tell you something.

Latest posts

Back