Nimue might have Tapeworm

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the best picture I could get, he kept wanting to run around and play so it was kinda hard to keep him still.

P1012523.jpg

I dont think he has warbles because it isnt really a hole, it is more like a scabbed over scrape :?

P1012526.jpg

This is so confusing :(

Thanks every one for their help though! :)

I am going to try and take a clearer one later, but I have a driving hour in like 10 minutes :X

~Amy

Good news! The vet just called and NO TAPEWORM! YAY!

The bad news.....we still dont know whatthe spot is....it goes away and comes back...It looks like we have morevet visits in our future :p

~Amy

Has the vet tried using Ivermectin fortreating fur mites? Does bunn lay up against or under a waterbottle that would keep the area wet?

The vet would have actually been testing for the fungal infection"ringworm" (not tapeworm) -- this test can often take a couple weeks toculture.

Sometimes a small amount of foot fungus powder for humans can help clear up these "mystery" skin irritations.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
"Warbles" (bot fly larvae) can also cause a scab around thehead/neck area. You would generally see the breathing hole(unless the larvae has dropped out and the hole is healing up. (I don'tthink that this case is a warble though).

Pam
I have to say, there are very few things that make me cringe more then the thought of a warble.

Jen

I had to remove a warble from a buck's testicle- ewwwwwwww. There is actually a species of botflies that grow specifically in squirrel testicles. :shock:

Pam

pamnock wrote:
I had to remove a warble from a buck's testicle - ewwwwwwww.There is actually a species of bot flies that grow specifically insquirrel testicles. :shock:

Pam

Oh my goodness! The new things I learn from reading some of the posts at R.O. just constantly amaze me....lol.....

Now i just need to distract myself somehow, so I can get these icky mental images of bot flies and warbles out of my head!

ayglnu13 wrote:

The bad news.....we still dont know whatthe spot is....it goes away and comes back...It looks like we have morevet visits in our future :p

~Amy

What about those things dogs get when they have some kind ofallergy....I think they call them "hot spots"? My friend was saying herdog had them--I think they came and went and looked a bit like ringworm.

Rose

rabbitgirl wrote:
What about those things dogs get when they have some kind ofallergy....I think they call them "hot spots"? My friend wassaying her dog had them--I think they came and went and looked a bitlike ringworm.

Rose

mmmmmm I will have to ask my vet about that. Good Idea! :)

~Amy

Latest posts

Back