Nimue might have Tapeworm

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayglnu13

Reaction score
Yesterday I brought Nimue to the vetsand they said he might have tapeworm. I did a lot of research abouttapeworm but I never found the answers I was looking for. I also triedsearching the forum but nothing came up :(

So here are my questions....

Can Humans get tapeworm from rabbits?

I am afraid to let him out to play with us because I dont want to gettapeworm...How is tapeworm passed from one person to another?

If he does have tapeworm what is the treatment for it?

How could he have gotten it in the first place?

Thanks!!! :)

~Amy

This is a picture of the red mark he has on his neck.

P1012462.jpg

~Amy

Can you give more details on the vet'sdiagnosis? What does the red mark have to do with the tapeworms (bear with me -- I probably missed posts on why he went to thevet in the first place).

Does he run outside (in the yard, etc.)? Do you have dogs?

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Can you give more details on the vet's diagnosis? What does thered mark have to do with the tape worms (bear with me -- I probablymissed posts on why he went to the vet in the first place).

Does he run outside (in the yard, etc.)? Do you have dogs?

Pam

She didn’t say ANYTHING about the red mark, that is why I am a bitdisturbed :? She just gave me this ointment to put on it until she gotthe results back.

We don’t have any dogs, but we had this dog randomly come in our housea couple days ago, but Nimue had no contact with him. He does gooutside, but he hasn’t been out for at least 2 or 3 weeks. I am justsooo puzzled by this.....and I have NOO idea where he got the red markfrom, it just kind of just showed up.

~Amy

The redmark doesnt necessarily haveanything to do with tape worm ,Tape worm is internal it livesand thrives in the lower intestinesand stomach , and contact canbe made with either the actuall wormor eggs or even a broken offpiece of the worm , Unfortunatelythe eggs cant be seen withthe naked eye butthe worm and a piece ofworm can be seen .

The wound looks more like the resultsof Ring worm , which the redcircle mark is hard to see becauseof his fur . It couldstill be hidden from view,

P.S. I kept trying to get a betterpicture but nimue kept moving, the red mark is about 3/4 of and inchwide and it is sorta scabbed over because he scratched it so much.

:)

~Amy

** " Then why would she be testing for tapeworm.......this is making no sense to me.."**

It makes no sense to meeither she should have done a ring wormscrape instead . Maybe call yourregular vet and ask him/her? and see what she thinks .

Rabbits carry a immature form of tape worm, theyare the main causeof tapeworn in cats and dogs as the y catchit by eating the droppings, and wild rabbits. Tape worm can be causedin different ways usually the flea eats the tapeworm egg then the fleabites the animal and the animal ingests the flea by biting the area.The tapeworm then hatches out in the stomach. Or, rabbits can ingesttapeworm from eating grass. Tapeworm is common in wildrabbits and rare in pets. As vets don't carry wormer for rabbits itsvery unlikely your bun has it. Ringworm: Ringworm is arelatively uncommon fungal disease in rabbits. It is caused by an agentsimilar to the one that causes athlete's foot in people. It istransmitted easily by direct contact with fungal spores on haircoats,bedding and soil. It most commonly affects juvenile rabbits andsusceptible adults, usually causing multiple hairless areas withslightly reddened skin. These hairless areas are often covered with aslight or heavy crust The patches usually occur on the head, ears andforelimbs.
Spot application of topical preparations can be used to treat a fewindividual areas, but oral medication is required if ringworm affectsmuch of the body.
Ringworm can be transmitted to susceptible people (including children).Caution should, therefore, be exercised in handling rabbits withringworm.
Did your vet take a swab of the area?

samandshawn wrote:
It most commonly affects juvenile rabbits and susceptibleadults, usually causing multiple hairless areas with slightly reddenedskin. These hairless areas are often covered with a slight or heavycrust The patches usually occur on the head, ears and forelimbs.

The patch of skin is by his head, and it was just a bald patch first and now it has gone red :?

First she did a skin scrape of the area to look at it underthe microscope, and then she took a chunk of hair from around that areaand stuck it in this box thing with a window that will turn red if hehas tapeworm :?

~Amy

My rabbits have HAD tapeworm, and from theconditions you're describing it sounds like a long shot that an insiderabbit would get it.

The most common carriers are fleas. If Nimue has been inside, has nothad fleas in the past 3 mo., and you aren't seeing white tapewormsegments in his litter box, chances are your vet is wrong.

If she says the sore is related to tapeworms, I'd find another vet!Ringworm maybe, tapeworm definitely not. Has Nimue ever had a liquidspot-treament for fleas, like Advantage, etc.?

If you recently had him neutered (I don't remember if you said that),find out if the vet gave him a spot-treatment for fleas. If she did, Iwould be good and mad if I were you.:X

Tapeworm is passed through fleas and fecal to oral contact. Just washhands after, don't let him kiss your face, and you'll be fine. Icleaned all cages AND the run when ours got it, and I was fine.

But I really doubt that's what he has! Good luck!

Rose

ayglnu13 wrote:
samandshawn wrote:
It most commonly affects juvenile rabbits and susceptibleadults, usually causing multiple hairless areas with slightly reddenedskin. These hairless areas are often covered with a slight or heavycrust The patches usually occur on the head, ears and forelimbs.

The patch of skin is by his head, and it was just a bald patch first and now it has gone red :?

First she did a skin scrape of the area to look at it underthe microscope, and then she took a chunk of hair from around that areaand stuck it in this box thing with a window that will turn red if hehas tapeworm :?

~Amy

It sounds like what my buck had when he had a flea treatment. A littlebald patch, which turned into a sore. The test you're describing is notfor tapeworm. Wonder why your vet said it was??? Weird!

Rose

Has anyone visitedwho has a cat ordog within the last 2 weeks ,round worm tape worm and ringworm can all be carried onclothing and shoes , Nim may not havegotten it outside at all , it could havebeen carried in . all he would haveto do was sniff where it wasand inhale the egg, or step on it, or even sit on it andit will migrate its way to where ever it wasnts togo , My oldest grandaughter had a boutwith round worms from sitting and playing ina sand plie we had no clue thecats were using .

rabbitgirl wrote:
My rabbits have HAD tapeworm, and from the conditions you'redescribing it sounds like a long shot that an inside rabbit would getit.

The most common carriers are fleas. If Nimue has been inside, has nothad fleas in the past 3 mo., and you aren't seeing white tapewormsegments in his litter box, chances are your vet is wrong.

If she says the sore is related to tapeworms, I'd find another vet!Ringworm maybe, tapeworm definitely not. Has Nimue ever had a liquidspot-treament for fleas, like Advantage, etc.? No he hasnever had any of that, I have never had a flea problem with Nimue, andI hope to never :)

If you recently had him neutered (I don't remember if you said that),find out if the vet gave him a spot-treatment for fleas. If she did, Iwould be good and mad if I were you.:X He was neutered over6 months ago :)

Tapeworm is passed through fleas and fecal to oral contact. Just washhands after, don't let him kiss your face, and you'll be fine. Icleaned all cages AND the run when ours got it, and I was fine.Thanks for telling me that, I really wanted him to be ableto come out today, my mom freaked out yesterday and told me he wasbanned to his cage until we could figure this out, poor baby was givingme the "Please mom can I come out" eyes today :)

But I really doubt that's what he has! Good luck!

Rose

gypsy wrote:
Has anyone visited who has a cat or dog within the last 2 weeks, round worm tape worm and ring worm can all be carried on clothing andshoes , Nim may not have gotten it outside at all , it could have beencarried in . all he would have to do was sniff where it was and inhalethe egg, or step on it , or even sit on it and it will migrate its wayto where ever it wasnts to go , My oldest grandaughter had a bout withround worms from sitting and playing in a sand plie we had no clue thecats were using .

There were two dogs that came in our house sometimes, but that isbecause I walk them for my neighbor :shock: those are the only dogsthat come in the house. And I dont think that they have tapeworm....Iwould hope thier owners would have told me....:?

~Amy

Poor Nimue! So glad he's got you as aMom. You'll get to the bottom of it. Keep usposted.

Wonderful thoughts from all the members! Good Job, Folks! :dude:

-Carolyn

ANY warm blooded and coldblooded animal can contract any oneof the3 parasites and not just fromeating the fecal matter , it can be inhaled , orstept on to invade a body justbecause someone says itis rare doesntmean it CANT happen.

To hold or not to hold....that is thequestion :D I want to hold my baby but I also dont want to get tapeworm:shock: what should I do....??? I would feel HORRIBLE if he has to sitin his boring ol' cage for a week or two...:?

~Amy

Latest posts

Back