NIC Cages Only-Now Closed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
Seeing as our Cages Only thread is now bigger than Chicago and has all makes and models, I thought I'd start a thread for just pics and info about NIC cages.

So all you peeps who have built pens and palaces out of Neat Idea Cubes or other similar products, please post your pics!

sas

I have a nic 'yard' that attaches to Pebbles original cage. I may change the design later, but for now I'm happy with it. Still need to add a shelf, but I haven't wrapped my head around how to do it yet!

81722b40.jpg

**I've had to put a piece of clear coroplast on top because someone decided to be an escape artist

The piece of coroplast (corrugated plastic) is screwed to a piece of plywood (the tile is cold in the winter and it gives some support). The NIC pannels are screwed to the coroplast to have everything strong and steady. In total, the cage cost $90 with EVERYTHING (Pannels, coroplast, the zip ties that haven't been used, litterbox, screws). I got the piece of plywood for free from my dads work.

Mr. Tumnus just moved in to his NIC palace a few weeks ago and he is loving it! Its only a 3x2 panel cage, but it seems huge for the little guy. He especially loves the second level!

Bunnies091.jpg
Bunnies092.jpg

Basil and Max are jealous! They dont ever go in a cage, but after seeing how great this has been, Im thinking of making a big one for them to go in when Im away.

-Haley

Haley - i love your cage, where did you get it from. Sammy is an indoor bunny and i do not have a cage for her she has her own bedroom at the moment and she is quite to her hormonal state and therefore pooing everywhere (cheeky little girl she watches me clean her room and then decides to do a wee/poo where i have just cleaned - i have to laugh).

Anyway im thinking of getting her a cage just for security for her really i know they like having somewhere they can hide away if they get scared (not that she is does get scared). Also i hope if she does still decide to poo everywhere she may just poo all over her cage instead of the whole bedroom.

Your cage looks ideal.

Haley what did you use for the bottom of the cage? I am seriously thinking of giving ole Mopsy a cage like this. Due to safety issues I have to cage him. But I really like the idea of a two level cage. Does your bun hop up there or do you have a ramp? I couldn't tell from the pics. And what all does it take to build one of these? Oh I also have to have a door on ours to keep the dogs away from him.

Hi guys and thanks for the compliments!

Ithink maybe it would be helpful if we add here what aNIC Condo is (for all the newbies)! Basically, its made out of these grids (called Neat Idea Cubes) that are made to create simple shelving. They go by many different names, and the most popular places to find them are Costco and Sams (seasonally), Kmart, and Target. They usually run about 15-20 dollars a box (and you will need 2 boxes to build a cage that is of reasonable size with a second floor).

Many people use cable ties (zip ties) to assemble the panels together, or you may do as I did and use the connectors that came with the cubes.You just have to make sure to leave an opening for a front door. Most rabbits will not need aramp for the second level...they can just jump right on up.

Theflooring is made with a product called Coroplast. It is basically plastic carboard andIve heard some people are able to purchase it at stores like Home Depot. My local HD did not carry it, so we called around to local sign storesand were able to find someone locally who supplied it (I paid $10 for a 4ft x 8ft sheet).

Here are some helpful links for those of you thinking of building one (scroll down to ideas and instructions): http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11792&forum_id=17

The great thing about these cages is that you may combine different ideas and designs to fit the personality of your bun! It was fun to add little hideouts and toys for him in his new cage, and he loves it!

Good Luck!

-Haley

thanks haley for the great information. i have been looking at alot of websites over the last month the only thing hold me back is the colorplast just wouldn't work with my rabbits. plus i'm afraid its not very sturdy. i was hoping to get some feedback from you that are using them. I am working on litter training now and it's going really good, so i need a flooring that i can clean but would be stronger than the colorplast, and safe for them.

stephiemarie:

I was afraid the coroplast wouldnt be sturdy enough, but it works fine. And he doesnt seem interested in chewing it at all. It also wipes up nicely. Another suggestion would be to buy a replacement dog cage flooring like this one: http://www.michiganrabbitrescue.org/condo.htm

Or I know some people use a wood flooring and cover it with carpet or plastic (cheap stick on) tiles.

Hope this helps!

-Haley

Edit :another idea is to go to Home Depot and look around for a sturdyflooring material. When Iwas there I sawsome almost metal-like sheets that would be sturdier than the coroplast. The nice thingabout coroplast though is that it bends to create a little guard around the outside of the cage.

Yay Steph thats awesome! Good Luck with everything!

Okay...now more pictures from everyone please..I love looking at these!

For those of you in Canada I know I was having a hard time finding them here! I finally tracked them down at Walmart in the hardware section. I can't remember the name they were under...but they come with 13 in a pack for $19.99.:D

Runestonez, be careful with the ones from Walmart, they are coated, Our Daisy Mae chewed the heck out of them.

Soooska:apollo:

yea i this is going to be my sunday job, now i just have tofigure outwhere i'm going to buy the cubes from =( suggestions? I spend hours looking online but i don't want to order them i'd like to get the best deal. I called cost co near me and they don't have any there out =(

Runestonez, be careful with the ones from Walmart, they are coated, Our Daisy Mae chewed the heck out of them.
The ones we gotare coated. Our bunns do chew them but don't eat the coating. The coating isn't toxic, but I wouldn't want them eating it anyway! Thanks Soooska for the warning!:) They were the only place we could find the darned things! Did you track them down anywhere else??

stephiemarie78 wrote:
yea i this is going to be my sunday job, now i just have tofigure outwhere i'm going to buy the cubes from =( suggestions? I spend hours looking online but i don't want to order them i'd like to get the best deal. I called cost co near me and they don't have any there out =(
I havent been lately, but I got mine about 3 weeks ago from Target. They were priced at 19.99 a box and on sale of 11.50!! They werent listed or sold online... but they had them at the target store in the home/shelving section..they might still be on sale for back to school. Definitely worth checking (oh and you will need 2 boxes)

Here's what Devon and Amber call "home". This picture was taken right after cleaning and before they were let back in, so this level of cleanliness is not the norm! It is also missing most of their toys and accessories.

This set was, and still is, a work in progress. It started as the 3x2 NIC cage you see, the pen was added soon thereafter. The screening was added after a few succesful escapes by Devon. But with the screening, they have full access to the pen day and night.

cage1.jpg

Latest posts

Back