NIC Cages Only-II

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ohkay here is my NIC cage .

Temporarily
The bunnies destroy their carpet so we are buying Vinyl flooring. but i need advice. any1 else got vinyl flooring? if you do please post a pic etce tc.

Thnx really need the help oh and here is the home until it get redesigned.

DSC05110.jpg

DSC05108.jpg

DSC05109.jpg

DSC05112.jpg

DSC05110-1.jpg

the cage/house is rather big for then and they especially love the second level.

Prisca Lorenza :pinkbouce:

Prisca, your cage looks good! I see what you mean about them eating the carpet though lol.... are they peeing on it? Mine would soak carpet in seconds lol! :p

I'll get some pics of my old cage in a bit for you, but for the shelves I use hardboard (like thin wood sort of) covered with sticky lino tiles, and the floor of my old cage used to just be one big sheet of lino underneath the cage, with a little bit extra to protect the floor around it, and to stop them chewing while they were in the cage.... I have pics somewhere, I'll find them for you!

I love the space for them though- they look really happy in it! :D

Ok! Here's how my old cage was done:

I got a big sheet of hardboard (plywood would work too) and stuck sticky lino tiles on top of it. You can cut them to size either with a craft knife or scissors. Then, for the shelves, I cut hardboard pieces to size (actually our local DIY store cut them for us for free) and stuck sticky lino tiles on them too.

20080310135.jpg

20080310140.jpg

Hope that helps! :)

WOW JEN~!! thats such a cool cage. and thank you for all your help!!

here is the bussiness with my new bunny house lol.

Did it all in a few hrs thnx to my lovely mummy! ( we had to reconect the panels from the start since i did it all my self and it wasnt strong enough.

okay well first we got the vinyl flooring.. it was 49.00$ for 1 meter so yeah.. BUT instead we just got a sample for 40$ for about 2 meters. it worked alrite,

The flooring iddnt work at first since we use conectors, so the flooring was all bumpy but them mum came up with an awesome plan.. let the photos talk for them selfs.

mum cut pieces of carboard to fit the panels and cut the edges layered that x3 and just keep going lol.
DSC05140.jpg

Each square has 3 layers of carboard.

DSC05139.jpg

DSC05137-1.jpg

DSC05138.jpg

so you see my mum is a very hard working mum.
and i love her to bits.

the same thing happened to the second level so what i did is cut the corners etc and made it like this.

DSC05141.jpg

t

here is the finished product

DSC00391.jpg

no not that one!

this one

DSC00390.jpg

now.. these next two look stupid but its just for size comparison lol. (1) to prove that im short (2) to prove that the bunny house is a reasonabel size lol!!!

DSC00393.jpg

DSC00392.jpg

DSC05142.jpg

I love it! my parents love it, my sister's love it best of all the bunners love it! (well toula was a dissaproving bunny at frst.... i chage my mind.. she still is ... and always will be lol)

SO tahst my bunnies home.. from this
DSC04319.jpg

to this

DSC05001.jpg

then this

DSC05005.jpg

after that this

DSC05110-2.jpg

and so finally this

DSC05142.jpg

well thats all from Prisca, Toula, and Lou (PTL's)
until next time :p

PTL's :pinkbouce:

Prisca, I think you did a great job of showing how the NICs can be built. Great job!

Here is one of my fav shots. Very simple too for those of you that are just beginning to make these cages, they can be tough.:)

DSC05138.jpg

This is Berry-Boo's NIC cage. She's up on a little table now, so it's no longer on the ground. It's 28"x28"x28" (2 panels, square).

It's small, I know. We are working on expanding it with the limited room we have :( I have a whole other box to work with. We want to make it longer and maybe not quite as tall. We're thinking :p

Also, her cage is now lined with placemats and carpet. This picture was from when we first set it up. She also uses Yesterdays News as litter now :p Not newspaper lol

100_3061.jpg

Supplies- 3 boxes of grids from Target (on sale-$14.99/each), fleece from Jo-Ann Fabrics for about $10.00, zip-ties, 200, about $6.00.

100_3088.jpg

Finished Product- 4x2, almost twice the size of his old dog crate, with an extra level!

100_3091.jpg

100_3094.jpg

100_3093.jpg

Something to be careful of: the new bigger sized-grids. I knew not to use them on the front or any exposed sides, but I used them on the back, the side against the wall, and the roof. Flynn kept sticking his head through the roof grids over his loft :shock: so I tied the smaller ones over top of them. Someday, I'll take it apart and fix it.

Berry-Boo's cage has the larger grids on it (the top portions). The whole back, the second level sides, and roof are all the new grids. I never have had a problem with her shoving her whole head through. She likes to push her face (just past her eyes) through to beg for treats. She's never done anything even remotely dangerous with them. Most of the time, she lays on the lower level with her feet sticking through the smaller grids (or, more amusing to see, just her tail). For her, sticking her nose through the holes while waiting for food is a game. It's kind of like whack-a-mole (minus the mallet and moles :p). I gently "bump" her nose and she'll move to another grid. :D I think it might depend on the animal? She never gets herself into any trouble (minus getting stuck under my couch -_-

kherrmann3 wrote:
Berry-Boo's cage has the larger grids on it (the top portions). The whole back, the second level sides, and roof are all the new grids. I never have had a problem with her shoving her whole head through. She likes to push her face (just past her eyes) through to beg for treats. She's never done anything even remotely dangerous with them. Most of the time, she lays on the lower level with her feet sticking through the smaller grids (or, more amusing to see, just her tail). For her, sticking her nose through the holes while waiting for food is a game. It's kind of like whack-a-mole (minus the mallet and moles :p). I gently "bump" her nose and she'll move to another grid. :D I think it might depend on the animal? She never gets herself into any trouble (minus getting stuck under my couch -_-

I, personally, will not take my chances. Guinea pigs have died from the new grids already. I would hate for one of my bunnies to possibly be the first rabbit death caused by the new grids.

Morgan stuck his whole head through with little room to get it out and he is only a 4lbs bunny. I would hate to know what would happen to a larger breed of rabbit who got too curious.

Berry-Boo is about 4#, too. She just sticks her eyes out past the grid to get a better look. She only does it when we approach the cage with a snack, so we can supervise her :p Her ears are really long, too, so I think that keeps her from putting her head all the way through. Hooray, oddly-proportioned bunnies! :D

Aha! Will and I finally settled on a new design for Berry-Boo's cage. Here is what we came up with!

Before:

After:

The new part is just the "tower" to the left of the cage. It is one panel thick, two long, and three high (1x2x3). I had a lot of the "large panel" ones left over, so those are the shelves. We zip-tied cardboard to the panel, then zip-tied shop carpeting over that. It's nice and sturdy, now. The bottom level of her "tower" is just a board for flooring, but then has all of her towels down there for her to snuggle in (and the igloo)! It took us two boxes of 23 panels (including her old cage) and three things of zippy-ties.

Yeah I can post here. I am so happy.

SDC10149.jpg

And one better view.

SDC10143.jpg

I took the big grid off and changed look in top picture you will see the difference

I was looking at this an noticed everyone had given info about there cage.

Its 3 long 2 wide and 2 hign it took 2 boxes of the new NIC boxes. All I had left over was the bigger grid. I plan on adding one more wide so it will be four wide soon. Oh about 300 zip ties but I think I over did the zip ties.

undergunfire wrote:
Great cage, PBJ :biggrin2:!

Where did you get that litter box, by chance?

From my friend mom and pop pet store.

Here is the link I found for you this is the one I have

http://www.pet-health.org/store/Pet-12923371-B0018CJZ32-Corner_Litter_Box.html

I also wanted to add to the bigger grid storm can fit all the way through he is a netherland dwarf. All my big grids are up against the wall is that safe. All of anywhere he can get through are the small grids

Latest posts

Back