nibbling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Reaction score
Sold a young bunny last Monday. Old enough to sell. Nice young thing, never had a moments issue with her.

Sold her to a "soft" young man... meaning a young fellow 12 years old who's timid in nature and not sure on how to place limits on animals.

I have never had a polish that nibbles on me. I hold my young stock regularly and simply don't have this issue.

But this young polish bunny is nibbling
His words "it is more of nibbling then biting but shes doing it all the time... its a really bad habit... she wouldn't be hungry, we feed her daily".

Now.. if I had a bunny doing that I'd tap it's forehead and Say NO in firm voice, but I know this lad won't do that since I showed him bunny discipline and he about freaked (and all I did was gently hold a bunny's head to the ground and say NO).

So how do I help this lad with this bunny.

I asked him all the obvious things
- could it be the soap you use
- is she being fed well
- what is happening before she nibbles

So I'm at a bit of a loss.

He's old enough I should think to be able to do some problem solving so help me help him to problem solve.

thanks!

Well, it's a bunny and they nibble. It's in their nature, and you have to teach them it's not allowed with people if they try it. You've told him the best thing to do already. Since he's unwilling to do that, maybe he could try distracting the bunny with a toy, to stop the behavior. He could also try clapping loudly and saying 'no' works with some bunnies, or a loud 'eek' or similar sound may also work.

gently pressing the bunny's head towards the floor and holding it there for a few seconds is by FAR the best way to teach them that you don't like them nibbling on you - perhaps if you reinforce the point that "it's exactly what a momma rabbit would do", he'd be willing to give that a try.

When I taught him that particular technique he freaked. Hollered that he would never be that mean to his bunny.

His mom needed to intervene to calm him down.

I explained that holding a bunny's head down is no different than a mom person picking up her toddler when he's getting in trouble in the store. you pick him up to teach him no he can't do that. And bunnies teach each other not to misbehave by holding down their heads.

I'm trying to help him...but I'm trying to work with him, within the limitations that he's placed on himself.

have you tried demonstrating the technique on him? ie gently press his hand down to show him how softly you can do that and have it be effective? that might help him to understand that it doesn't hurt the bunny at all...

Well, I can't add to the suggestions of bunny training techniques used for modifying the bunnies behavior but will add this. You may wish to also remind him that he is the one who must teach the bunny the proper way to behave with people. If he doesn't then if the bunny ever has to go to another home or he has to have someone to take care of it because of being away for some reason, they will not be patient with a bunny that has learned to bite to get its way. It isn't mean to gently but firmly push the bunnies head down & it wouldn't take too many times for the bunny to learn. Hope you can get the young boy to learn that it is more "mean" to not teach the bunny now while it is young how to behave with humans than it is to push his head down or other gentle deterrents. I know this from being a bird owner & being active with bird groups for many years. Many birds lose their homes when their owners don't know how to work with their bird & teach them good behaviors & end up actually making it worse. Hope you can get through for the bunny & boy's sake. Maybe someone his own age that already knows how to teach/train the bunny appropriate behavior?

Or go to the library--we have several books that explain how you should train and the first thing you need to know is their behavior so you can emulate it. Always said you treat a dog like a dog and a bunny like a bunny would.

Latest posts

Back